As I Lay Dying vocalist Tim Lambesis addresses show cancelation

Friday, February 08, 2019 7:05 AM PT

Earlier this week, the venue hosting an upcoming As I Lay Dying show in Memphis, TN canceled the gig due to public outcry over the past transgressions of vocalist Tim Lambesis. The singer has now responded via two Instagram posts in which he stresses that while he can't undo "the biggest mistake" of his life, he's focused on turning his life around by helping others, including prison inmates and those struggling with addiction and/or mental health issues.

Lambesis had the following to say:

"While I'm disappointed by the cancellation of our show in Memphis, I understand and accept the resentment some people have towards who I used to be. I stand against that person I became during the darkest period of my past, and it is part of my life's work to prevent others from going down destructive paths. It's now been almost six (6) years since I made the biggest mistake of my life, and I consider each day an opportunity to do something positive to turn my life around and to use my experience to help others.

"As I move forward with this purpose I know there will be obstacles. However, I wish we could have come up with a more meaningful solution for the fans in Memphis rather than just cancel. Perhaps I could visit a recovery center in Memphis, a free event to our fans and those being served at the center, where I can open up for Q&A and all questions are welcome. I look forward to continuing this conversation around recovery, how to prevent others from ending up in a bad place, and how to facilitate healing in the lives of people who have been hurt by others. I welcome the opportunity to address the topic of domestic violence and how I am not on the opposing side of this critical issue.

"Since serving my time I've been involved in the following: • Completed all of the courses necessary to become an addiction treatment counselor in the state of California with hopes of helping others who are struggling with addiction and mental health. • Worked for a year as a case manager at an addiction treatment facility. • Spent two years tutoring inmates who never finished high school. Education is the greatest tool we currently have for breaking the criminal cycle of repeat offenders. • I currently visit prisons quarterly to help inmates without job skills train for their release so that they can become productive neighbors and not a burden on society. Most end up back in prison due to lack of hope or a support system.

"Through AILD, our recent tours have allowed us the opportunity to donate proceeds of sales to organizations that help others—notably Heart Support and families affected by the California fires.

"Thanks to our fans connecting with this message, we were able to become one of Heart Support's main contributors. We strongly believe in their objective to offer emotional support and counseling to young adults caught in cycles of depression, abuse, and addiction, and will continually support charities that further the process of healing for others.

"By listing all of the above, it's not my intention to gain praise or recognition. I simply want to make sure it's clear how seriously I take all of these issues.

"Throughout my four year incarceration and release, I've sought meaningful personal change and surrounded myself with family, friends, and counsel. I'm grateful to have earned the support of my bandmates, my wife, family, and fans who've also given me this chance. I will continue to move forward in my personal mission to help others and make a positive impact in the world around me, knowing there will be challenges, and believing that the next half of my life will be more meaningful than the first.

"I look forward to continuing a discussion around recovery, mental health, domestic violence and prisoner reform for many years to come."

69 days ago
Where is the donations to kids who have lost parents due to circumstances in which you were jailed for. Not one mention about your son or attempts to fix that.

Just blanketing the real issue with pics from you at jail events...promo pics.

Most of what you do is required by your parole agreement. Stop playing it off like you are doing this by choice.

69 days ago
fck this taco and anyone who supports him.

69 days ago
Tim is a modern day hero. at every turn he is giving back to the community via time, service, discussion and creative output. he shouldn't have to keep apologizing. he did his time paid the dues. virtue signaling betas are the only ones acting offended.

What a great guy

I mean, idiot

fcking felon

69 days ago
Hey Tim, you don't get to choose the consequences you dumb fck

69 days ago
You hired someone to KILL your wife dude. Whats that got to do with addiction or depression? If you tried to kill yourself I get it?

69 days ago
What if she really deserved what was coming to her?

His Memphis Q&A idea is so awesomely out of touch

People want to watch you beat your chest and play songs from 2004, wake the fck up tim

69 days ago
"Hey Tim, you don't get to choose the consequences you dumb fck"

This.

69 days ago
"What if she really deserved what was coming to her?"

Then we should all hate him for not following through and ridding the world of a piece of shit who deserves to die.

69 days ago
More cancelled shows on the way. I work at metal blade. This is why we dropped them

69 days ago
Hey everyone I work at MBD. Name is Nick Smithingson. To clarify on why they were dropped..we tried to buy them onto the 2019 fest scheduled (instead of bigger venues) and when fests declined we knew we could never make money off of them again.

69 days ago
Keep your chin up Tim, and know that you can never please those who are still bitter and hateful towards you. It's their problem, not yours. People need to realize that we have a criminal justice system in this country which functions on do the crime, do the time - once you are out, you paid your debt to society. If the wife has an issue with it, however right she may be, sue in court, but the criminal phase is over. Don't agree, fck OFF and MOVE TO NEW COUNTRY.

Dear Timothy
You've made me nauseous for the last time
Everything I've said to you
I will form into a spike (To drive through my throat)
In order to stop my words
This time I'll put them in the ground
Along with my memories and my feelings
I'll burn it down and walk away
Let the fire warm my back
I wish you would say you hate me
It would make it so much easier
Burn it down and walk away
Love, Daniel

69 days ago
People who defend Tim wear white outfits to the state of the union...

69 days ago
How did this jerk not do minimum 15 years to life for attempted murder?

Oh wait, I know, he's white, male, bearded, probably a Republican, semi-famous, and semi-wealthy (or at least enough that he hasn't had to work a Mon-Fri. 9-5 job for a boss while doing ALID for most of the band's existence.)

69 days ago
^ Shut up, you fcking racist.

69 days ago
^ White guy who knows the truth hurts.

- White guy who posted what you replied to.

69 days ago
"How did this jerk not do minimum 15 years to life for attempted murder?

White male privilege at its worst. If he was black/non-white he'd still be in prison today as I type.'

69 days ago
did robert flynn write this novel?

69 days ago
^^ A white person who is racist against whites and makes every little thing about race. You are the worst kind of racist.

69 days ago
Anyone with a strong opinion either way should off themselves.

69 days ago
he is in a band. that is a job that pays. just because you don't have the creative capacity/talent to do what he does means it isn't legit? virtue signaling beta cuck plebian

69 days ago
he does not deserve to be lauded by the public following a conviction of solicitation of murder. fck em'.

69 days ago
If Tim was successful at doing what he sought out to do his then wife would be dead
No care for this piece of shit ever

69 days ago
He's wearing a wedding ring.........

New Sheetrock LP now out on splatter vinyl

American Burzum

69 days ago
He didn't get charged with attempted murder idiot. It was Solicitation of murder.>.

He should've got (and still should do) at least 15 years to life for hiring someone to kill his wife, idiot. You know what I was getting at.

The guy should be in prison as I type not touring around the country free (the point you missed, idiot and btw S.O.M. should be considered attempted murder too since you attempted to murder by hiring someone to kill someone else and the murder almost being done.)

69 days ago
"He's wearing a wedding ring........."

He is married to Jesus.

69 days ago
Who cares about his ex wife still, she clearly did something wrong to have someone as cool as Tim want to kill her.

69 days ago
Lol @ anyone who has ever listened to this band

69 days ago
Hey, remember that time this dude hired someone to murder his wife?

69 days ago
apparently only this venue in memphis and some festival in germany are the only people to remember. how does this idiot have a career??? people have had careers killed for less

69 days ago
"He's wearing a wedding ring........."

He is married to Jesus.

LOL!!!!!

69 days ago
people who wear promise rings for a girl they obsess over IRL but have never met in person are not stoked

Tim Lambesis is an American treausure and AILD is a tier 1 band now and forever