Stagehand dies following Avenged Sevenfold show

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 12:38 PM PT

A 19-year-old man was killed as he was helping to dismantle the stage following an Avenged Sevenfold concert in Stuttgart, Germany Monday night. The stagehand died after a 26-year-old co-worker fell from a height of roughly 60 feet and landed on him. The man who fell survived, but was hospitalized with serious injuries.

Police are investigating the incident.

The show, which also featured Disturbed and Chevelle, took place at the Schleyer-Halle venue, which said of the accident, "We are deeply affected and terribly sad. Our sympathy goes out to [his] family and all of its members."

UPDATE: Avenged Sevenfold has now issued this statement:

"We have some very sad news to report. Last night after our show in Stuttgart, Germany, a 26 year-old stagehand fell from the rafters while breaking down our stage. He fell a very far distance onto a 19 year-old man on the local crew. Tragically, the 19 year-old died from his injuries. The other man is now in critical condition at the hospital.

"This is beyond heartbreaking to everyone in the band and on our crew. We all send our thoughts and prayers to the man in the hospital, both families involved, all of the local Live Nation crew and everyone else whose lives have been affected by this terrible accident. We love our crew so much as well as the many local staff who are essential to our show every night wherever we are around the world. This is such a stark reminder of how quickly an accident can happen and lives shattered in the process. When we hear more we will update you."

2/21/2017 12:46:54 PM
in Germany its a 50k a year union job protected by the National Association for the Advancement of Microphone Workers.

2/21/2017 1:05:20 PM
Dude that was stupid enough to not secure himself to prevent a fall should be held completely accountable. Foreign safety standards must be lacking.

2/21/2017 1:10:18 PM
well that was interesting. i just assumed he removed his ear plugs and heard some killer tunes on the PA.

2/21/2017 1:14:56 PM
Sheesh. I saw that Seven Mary Three was going to be coming to my hometown and they need stagehands. Guess I won't apply. I need the cash bad tho... Guys it is me 'Deathcore' Jon. I'm trying to get my damn life on track and some damn Falcons back on my feet but it's real hard filling out applications and they see 'Deathcore' before my name. Plus I put 'nu hate' as a hobbie. Any suggestions?? HELP ME.

'Deathcore' Jon

2/21/2017 1:16:05 PM
I'm convinced that the guy behind serj is a goddamn comedic genius.

2/21/2017 1:37:15 PM
Tonight The Stagehand Dies

2/21/2017 1:37:35 PM
Chevelle again? Some dude got impaled and died from a fall at The Riv in Chicago two years ago. Turbo lol.

2/21/2017 1:44:31 PM
Critical acclaim!!!!

2/21/2017 2:34:21 PM
I remember this band used to be metalcore before ripping off guns and roses

2/21/2017 2:45:32 PM
^^^^ Seven Mary Three FTW

2/21/2017 2:46:36 PM
srj tmkn probably is unable to respond as I lodged numerous complaints against his whack ass... and other board members.

2/21/2017 2:56:59 PM
Wrong kid died.

2/21/2017 3:00:35 PM
sucks that the rev had to start being a hand after his big drug fallout and thankfully he was smart to be under the guy that failing but whatevs rip rev best drummer & stagerat since that dude from 311

one last salute to the rev RIP 2017/02/21

2/21/2017 3:55:58 PM
60ft? Jesus Christ. The guy should have been using a harness, and it should have been mandatory.

2/21/2017 4:35:19 PM
dismantle the stage, think of the comments fruits

2/21/2017 5:23:54 PM
So much for waken the fallen

2/21/2017 6:08:30 PM
You know the kid at the bottom probably heard the dude scream as he fell, but had no clue where the sound came from.

2/21/2017 8:16:59 PM
^^ it would've came from up, stupid. That's how gravity works fruit

2/21/2017 9:16:39 PM
I'm gonna tryiyiyiyiii to land upon this guyiiiieeee.

2/22/2017 1:46:39 AM
poor dude made it all the way through an avenged sevenfold show only to have this happen

2/22/2017 2:36:00 AM
lmaoo ok ok i know it was a bit controversial to laugh my brown ass-hole spread eagle wide open at a man death, but well me and the boys neva been playin it safe! srj tmkn-sod fame. anway, any1 else find it hmm..a lil suspicious xP that the night of the big concert, the "boys rockin fine denim and mabe thin leathers, tinged with they metal studs" frontman- tentitivly titled MATTS SHADOWS was seen up on the catwalk, urging they roadie, "jump or u pssy boys??"

2/22/2017 2:40:16 AM
and well, the chrome Davis Dayman was also seen up on the catwalk! flashin his genital at any ol person that he could find! text me.."YO SRJ AND THE BOYS, SHAVO, AND, DEN MLKN! COME CHECK ME OUT HERE..." and well we follow the map straight into the genitalia!
anway, MATT SHOW was hm..smilin before they gig. shootin giggles at Davis while he exposed himself! LOL that was p funny actually, anway, i hope the truth is revealed and well mabe CHEVELS was in the mix? hm..

2/22/2017 5:37:31 AM
Stage dive?

2/22/2017 6:05:24 AM
anway, MATT SHOW was hm..smilin before they gig. shootin giggles at Davis while he exposed himself! LOL that was p funny actually, anway, hm.. I dry hump my sisters damp pant leg while shavo films it all.

2/22/2017 10:15:41 AM
anonymous13 hours ago
^^ it would've came from up, stupid. That's how gravity works fruit

When unable to identify where a sound is coming from, the brain "defaults" and assumes the sound originates from behind the listener. That's how perception and many surround sound systems work stupid gay. Maybe I'll teach you how the word filter works next.

2/22/2017 4:36:46 PM