The Word Alive say tour manager jumped by local band at show

Thursday, March 17, 2016 6:10 AM PT

Arizona post-hardcore/metalcore band The Word Alive claim that their tour manager was jumped at a Florida show last night (March 16) by a local metal band. The alleged incident took place during a show at Vinyl Music Hall in Pensacola, and members of opening band Rainey's Revenge are at the center of the accusations. Here's what TWA frontman Telle Smith had to say via a series of Tweets:

"The band Raineys Revenge jumped out tour manager before we played tonight for citing their set due to them going over their time. Bullshit. They are lucky that they are cowards and waited until he was alone. Have fun being blacklisted from ANY beneficial show for life. Ignorant. All in all though we had an amazing show tonight Pensacola. We appreciate you singing your hearts out to songs new and old. We'll be back.

"When your fanbase has your back it's an amazing feeling. Some of the Facebook comments you guys wrote on that band's page have me dying. Thank you. It will never pay to act unappreciative and unprofessional. Topping that off with unnecessary violence will end your career, good job."

For their part, Rainey's Revenge took to Facebook to defend themselves via two separate statements, both of which have since been deleted. You can check them out below.

Raineys Revenge post statement on Facebook

"RR set was cut short due to time issues. We set up fairly quickly but due to some sound issues unbeknownst to us apparently we went 10 min over. After our first song the TM told our vocalist that we had 5 minutes left, and before our guy could even get the word to the rest of the members he said dont try me I will cut the pa off! Needless to say we werent happy about it, but we played one more song and rushed off.

"Afterwards two members were OUTSIDE of the venue smoking a cigarette and admittedly they were venting over what had happened. By THEMSELVES. The TM approached our band members getting loud and rowdy with our guys because he overheard the venting they were doing. The RR guys had went to where they were COMPLETELY alone and away from everyone to discuss the show. The TM approached them because he didnt like what he overheard.

"After much yelling and finger pointing from both sides the TM punched our member in the face. They then proceeded to grapple with each other. Our other member grabbed the TM and everyone went to the ground. The security asked our member to let him up now that things had calmed. Our member did and the minute he was back up again the TM punched the other member in the face AGAIN and went after him.

"The member who grabbed the TM breaking up the two fighting never even threw a punch and the member who was punched was merely defending himself. He was never JUMPED. Other people can claim they saw what happened but there were only 4 people there. Security, 2 RR guys, and the TM.

"The TM came from inside the venue, the security was at the door and the RR guys were outside. We sincerely hope the venue has tape on it, because that will show the truth of what really happened."

Not surprisingly, love letters to Rainey's Revenge have been accumulating on their Facebook page. Here is a sampling:

criticism of Rainey's Revenge on Facebook

UPDATE: Rainey's Revenge has now issued a new statement on the matter:

Ok, clearly the time has come to comment on this situation that took place with us last night with The Word Alive's tour manager. FIRST, we would like to extend our gratitude to all our friends that have had our back and stuck up for us through out all this. As I'm sure you all can imagine, it's been a very interesting day to be in this band. So we shall start with the removal of our previous two posts made on the subject. We were asked to by some of the venues employees in light of how the situation was playing out at the time. We did so out of respect for them because the biggest shame in all of this is how sadly Vinyl's name is getting dragged through all this. So moving to the fight that took place. Lets get one thing straight The Word Alives tour manager was not jumped by any of us in the band. That was what some of the bands that performed last night just decided to say. I'm pretty certain if we straight up jumped a person especially in his line of work we would have been arrested, which did not happen. In fact ZERO legal actions were taken.

We have played numerous shows over the last 5 years and have NEVER had anything close to something like this happen. With that being said I'll post a statement from our drummer seeing as I personally wasn't around for this "fight."

" Before the member of the band could tell us what he said, he threatened to shut the PA off. We played one more song and quickly got off stage. We were all very irritated about the situation but I for one understand that that's how these things go. However, I don't think he needed to be so condescending and unpleasant with his delivery. While we were getting our stuff off the stage as quickly as possible, I heard the tour manager say these exact words: "just shut up and get the Fuck off the stage." By that time, I knew about the time issue. Even after he said that, I still looked at him and got his attention and said, "I am sorry."

We took our equipment outside and put it away. Some of the members were in the audience watching the next band. Myself and another member of RR went out the side door where the tour buses are and had a cigarette and talked about what happened. We were both fairly irritated. We were outside so we could be alone for no one to hear us as well as being able to hear each other. Our conversation was heated. At that moment, the tour manager stuck his head out of the door because it was slightly ajar and said, "are you still talking shit?! Get the Fuck out of here!"

Now, I have never been in a fight in my life. I usually talk my way out of violence or arguments. I'm not a violent person. I use logic and reason every day.

After the tour manager said that, we all started getting loud with one another. At one point, we all said let's stop and speak like adults and handle it maturely. And we did just that. Briefly. He grew more and more condescending and got louder and stated that we were nobodies and asked if we've ever been on tour. He also said that we have no idea what it's like to be on tour. His attitude had us all yelling at each other again and he was nose-to-nose with the other member of RR that I was with. When it looked like things were about to escalate, I put my arms between them and pushed to try to separate them. He then began to yell, "he hit me!! he hit me!!" WHICH I DID NOT. Then I saw him pull his arm back and throw a punch. He punched me in the face. He then started to come at me with more punches. The other member of RR with me stopped him by grabbing him and pulling away from me. We all went to the ground. I found myself sitting on top of him with my hand on his chest. The other member of RR was also holding him down. The security guard told us to stop and let him up. The other member of RR got up. Then I started to get up and the tour manager punched me again in the face. THAT'S TWICE HE HIT ME. I started hitting him back so he would stop hitting me. He was covering his head and not hitting me so I got off of him. He then tried to kick me in the groin. He quickly got up and tried to punch me again. That's when the security guard stopped him and told us that we had to go. We complied. Shortly after the other members of RR were asked to leave."

SO, that would be our side of the story. We are all fully aware of how the internet works and are sure we will continue to receive more hate mail and what not. Trust me, we've seen plenty of it today. Hell we had someone send us a message saying and I quote "I hope everyone in your band gets cancer". Real nice right?

One thing we want to make VERY CLEAR to everyone reading this. We are not breaking up and we are not changing our name. We will carry on. It will take a lot more than having our name dragged through the mud by people whom haven't the slightest idea of what really went down to stop us.

Lastly we just want to sincerely apologize to Vinyl Music Hall for all of this. Your staff has been nothing short of amazing to us since the first time we played there opening for Hatebreed in 2011. We cant thank y'all enough for all the amazing shows we have been fortunate enough to play there.

In the end, you have not heard the last from us.

3/17/2016 6:20:13 AM
The Word "Press"

3/17/2016 6:31:38 AM
The turd alive should flip there bus..

3/17/2016 6:34:08 AM
Yawn..

3/17/2016 6:35:44 AM
"The turd alive should flip there bus.."
Their.

3/17/2016 6:36:56 AM
This proves yet again that only pussies need tour managers.

3/17/2016 6:42:27 AM
"Careers"

3/17/2016 6:43:51 AM
Who? and Who?

3/17/2016 6:58:33 AM
Who and Who exactly.

Nobody outside of The Turd Alive's miniscule fan base and this no-name local band's group of bro's and girlfriends gives a flying shit about any of this

But damn is it funny.

3/17/2016 7:00:19 AM
"First and for most" haha. Dum dums don't know how to spell.

3/17/2016 7:02:10 AM

3/17/2016 7:03:20 AM
Any publicity is good publicity. If this band has any DIY hustle, they can capitalize on the hype

3/17/2016 7:09:38 AM
can't believe people actually write shit like that online to people they don't know...i weep for my kids future

3/17/2016 7:15:19 AM
they then proceeded to grapple with each other.

3/17/2016 7:39:17 AM
They used "to make a long story short" twice in one paragraph and they have an awful band name. Hard pass.

And TWA is going to blacklist someone from ever having a meaningful show? Eat shit, sweaty nerds. The only winners here are no one.

3/17/2016 7:39:18 AM
They should all just fight each other. Lets make this interesting

3/17/2016 7:53:53 AM
Ted Peck sounds like a LambGoat regular, gay

3/17/2016 8:30:20 AM
who??

3/17/2016 8:47:14 AM
look out guys, some D-level scenebop band is gonna "black list" you lololol

3/17/2016 9:04:39 AM
Waiting for Lorenzo to hit me with some knowledge.

3/17/2016 9:16:19 AM
half off huh, to see a band zero people have heard of. good one losers

3/17/2016 9:18:34 AM
You fcking nerds that commented before me are all blacklisted from ANY meaningful comments again.

3/17/2016 9:27:03 AM
They've been blacklisted!! Their careers of selling tickets to play during 15 minutes it takes to open the doors is over!

3/17/2016 9:41:51 AM
I'm from the same town as this band and I am so happy it happened. This band is even more terrible than their name. They are a bunch of 30-40 year old fcks playing awful dad metal and they play literally ever big show that comes here. My town isn't that big so it's just one guy who books the bigger shows and I guess they're good friends with the dude because they always open up. This was a pretty bad move on their part because that's literally the only thing they had going for them.

3/17/2016 9:42:09 AM
They've been a band since 2011 and haven't even played outside Pensacola ever and I'm not sure if they've even released any recorded music. So now they have to stick to the local metal shows that draw 15 people including the band members because they had to fight the tour manager of some show they didn't belong on. The guy honestly probably cut their set short because they just sucked that much. Funniest thing that will ever happen here tho, straight up.

3/17/2016 9:51:23 AM
Bands with managers are going places
Bands with messy hair and smooth, white faces
Vans with fifteen passengers are rolling over

3/17/2016 9:59:26 AM
"Delayed by sound issues" aka the backing tracks weren't coming through.

3/17/2016 10:09:58 AM

3/17/2016 10:11:08 AM
WTF don't edit my shit you PC loving hippies.

3/17/2016 10:14:17 AM
Tour mangers are a fcking joke. You are a glorified parent with 4-6 fcking kids to babysit all times. I wish the other band wasnt pssy and would just say they beat the shit out of him. Both bands have awful names.

3/17/2016 10:21:26 AM
"I am from this town, too. fck whoever posted before me from Pensacola. Just because everyone here sucks and you are no exception, gay-o-tron."

Not everyone sucks here bro. Just RR, so please cry some more over the worst local band here.

3/17/2016 10:30:59 AM
Doing pre-sale tickets own

3/17/2016 10:37:08 AM
The worst part is twa manager 'Cited' them. I guess that will pay for a couple mcdoubles.

3/17/2016 10:46:28 AM

3/17/2016 11:08:53 AM
"Cry? I said everyone. Are you familiar with the word? It is all-encompassing. Band included. Me included. But definitely you."

Oh man the anonymous guy who has no idea who I am on lambgoat said I sucked :( You owned me as hard as RR owned that tour manager lmao

3/17/2016 11:21:57 AM
Only reason locals were put on this package was because the first month pre sales did absolutely terrible, so they needed last minute locals to sell pre sales to meet guarantees.

Their tour manager is a fcking clown anyways.

3/17/2016 11:40:47 AM
Defonced.

3/17/2016 11:46:01 AM
Letlive ripped off Brand New. Letlive- "muther" Brand New- "jaws theme swimming"

3/17/2016 12:13:03 PM
hahahahaha thats what you get for managing a bunch of gays

3/17/2016 12:15:30 PM
tour manager flip

3/17/2016 12:17:06 PM
WE NEED MORE NEWS LIKE THIS.

3/17/2016 12:51:44 PM
welcome to geniune hardcore. Colorado pride

3/17/2016 12:55:46 PM
"of which have since been deleted"

Lol @ all you candyasses starting shit, but then cant take the heat

3/17/2016 1:02:44 PM
Pepsi-cola>Pensacola

3/17/2016 1:07:23 PM
Tour managers can cite bands now? The powers of the Patriot Act have extended too far.

3/17/2016 1:48:26 PM
lol /r/cringe

3/17/2016 3:33:34 PM
TWA you bunch of pussies just want attention. Get over yourself, you look like a bunch of girls anyway. Your music is garbage, you'll be off the map in 3 years, and I'll always hate on a snitch, man the fck up, people like you need to get your ass kicked!!!! Mad cause you can't fight

3/17/2016 3:39:02 PM
Honestly I'd comment but TWA blacklisted me a while back for some shit

3/17/2016 3:39:33 PM
TWA Flight 800

3/17/2016 4:24:57 PM
I'm citing everyone who commented before me.

3/17/2016 6:34:15 PM
TWA has been blacklisted for years, due to being gày as FÜCK

3/17/2016 8:32:42 PM
gays.

3/18/2016 4:37:04 AM
Seriously just admit you punched the dude and use it as a selling point, who the fck cares.

3/18/2016 6:11:09 AM
Isn't this wild? This comes out, then two days later TWA's album comes out. This is the most press this band has seen in a while. Pre-Madonna bullshit is what it is.

3/18/2016 8:26:06 AM
Drowning and these streets should of been on that show

3/18/2016 8:54:04 AM
They should've hired karebear and the singer of heavy chains to take care of this , we all know they love jumping people

3/18/2016 11:58:49 AM
the local band whose name I already forgot should have instead just said, "Yeah, we beat his ass. So what?"

But now it's one band's word alive versus another's.

Who cares?

3/18/2016 12:15:10 PM
It's not pre-Madonna, you knuckle dragger. Prima donna.

3/18/2016 5:45:14 PM
news flash no one has ever heard of these shitbag bags, this is the most press they will ever get and its too much..

3/18/2016 6:37:15 PM