Pepper Keenan (Down) says he forgives Phil Anselmo

Thursday, February 4, 2016 11:41 AM PT

Pepper Keenan, of Corrosion of Conformity and Down notoriety, has issued a statement regarding band mate Phil Anselmo and his behavior at Dimebash 2016. Here you go:

"Any one who knows me is aware that I am not one to dabble much in social media, however due to what transpired last week at Dimebash I feel the need to respond and reach out to friends, family, music peers and fans worldwide.

"I am saddened and confused by the behavior of Philip Anselmo last week. I do not condone what was gestured and said. This lapse in judgment of "making a joke" was in terribly poor taste and unacceptable.

"That philosophy is the opposite of what I am about. My heart follows love and soul and my music has been inspired from people of all walks of life and musical styles. I view music as a gift that is universal and intended for all of humanity. As a proud New Orleanian, life is about celebrating diversity through music, it's about bringing people together, not tearing apart.

"I won't speak for Phil but I've known him most of my life and I know there is not hate in his heart, however I hope at this moment in time Phil will focus his energy on self-reflection and begin the process of regaining perspective, healing himself and those lives he has touched through music.

"Through Down, Philip and I have written many beautiful and powerful songs in the past that have touched and inspired people from all walks of life positively and have helped pull many out of their own darkest hours. This is not something I take for granted and should always be at the forefront of one's conscience to keep you grounded, humbled and grateful.

"One of the responsibilities and joys, in my opinion, of being an artist or musician is having the ability to help make the world a better place.

"I accept Phil's apology, and I believe he can.

"I'll be thereā€¦if needed."

2/4/2016 11:59:17 AM
So, Pepper Keenan is a white supremacist that needs to be burned at the stake? Quick, to Tumblr!!!

2/4/2016 12:04:47 PM
IF YOU GOT HATE IN YR HEART, LET IT OUT!

2/4/2016 12:06:19 PM
How is this guy gonna be the whitest dude with the blackest name ever?

2/4/2016 12:06:33 PM
These are primitive times, but Phil still went a little too far beyond driven here...

2/4/2016 12:06:35 PM
I really am so glad everyone now has the chance to springboard off of this to try and steal a bit of spotlight and show the world how pure and flawless they are. Seriously. Who we got next...Fronz?

By all means, please keep huffing your own farts guys.

2/4/2016 12:08:18 PM
SHUT THE FVK UP KEENAN...you were the fat kid in a fat kid/dumb kid duo and the Good Burger movie totally jumped the shark.

Canna Takeyah Awwwwwder?!

2/4/2016 12:14:15 PM
Pantera/Down/Superjoint + windows down + very loud = my car for the rest of my days, whos riding with me?

2/4/2016 12:15:17 PM
"Through Down, Philip and I have written many beautiful and powerful songs in the past that have touched and inspired people from all walks of life positively and have helped pull many out of their own darkest hours."

Literally means nothing on the subject of Phil being a racist dickhead.

2/4/2016 2:20:37 PM
their own darkest hours. their own darkest hours. their own darkest hours. their own darkest hours. their own darkest hours. their own darkest hours. their own darkest hours. their own darkest hours. their own darkest hours. their own darkest hours. their own darkest hours. their own darkest hours.

2/4/2016 5:09:18 PM
Good, now go make the next Down ep. First day buyer right here.

2/4/2016 5:14:11 PM
Good, now go make the next Down ep. First gay buyer right here.

2/4/2016 7:54:59 PM
Good, now go make the next Down ep. First gay guyer right q u e e r.

2/4/2016 11:23:26 PM
Oh some famous guy did some dumb shit. Guess that makes him not famous for what he was famous for. Who the fck cares dude. If he can still make music I don't really care who he offended. Pretty sure Kanye got the same free pass for dissing a white chick.

2/5/2016 11:56:09 AM
"Through Down, Philip and I have written many beautiful and powerful songs"

no, you haven't. your band sucks, you suck, and Phil sucks.

2/5/2016 9:06:49 PM
They stripped me naked had me lift my ballsack up so they could check underneath it, and then had me bend over and spread my asscheeks apart so they could look inside my jerk.

2/7/2016 5:49:34 AM
Pepper Keenan: I need Down to pay the bills cuz COC won't.

He made this statement like Phil made his apology only because Phil got shit for what he said and did (finally.)