Intronaut on streaming royalties: 'F*ck you, Spotify'

Wednesday, September 30, 2015 5:20 PM PT

Intronaut

Los Angeles, CA progressive metal band Intronaut took to Facebook this evening to express their dissatisfaction with Spotify royalties, and to ask fans to support the group by purchasing their forthcoming album, due out on Friday. Here's what they had to say:

"Six months of streaming royalties = $3.67. Fuck you, Spotify.

"If you care to support Intronaut, preorders for digital and physical copies of our record will be up on Friday! We love you guys and can't wait to see you on the road this fall!

"In all honesty, I think every member of this band uses Spotify because it is incredibly convenient. I think we just want you to know that it would help us a whole lot if you folks actually bought our album and came to a show, if you're interested in supporting us and enabling us to keep coming around to your city."

9/30/2015 5:32:55 PM
why not put your shit on band camp

9/30/2015 6:07:46 PM
or just continue crying about it...

9/30/2015 6:17:10 PM
If I wanted to buy the new ASTRONAUTS album I would have already!!! U probably guessed already but hello it's me - sergent "big ups/big timin" tankien- system and a down fame. The metal gig tough mistress-best to grow ur own balls and let the baby rip! That son of a gun record label a SOB in WOLF clothin. Best hit ur sack wit the quickness or ya get picked off! The turkey armesnia genocide

9/30/2015 6:20:35 PM
Don't listen to serjent t. Hello it is me- DARECK MALANIAN and its me SHAVO - system and a down fame. Bass and guitar respectively. Serjent Tankyen always hoggin with tha Spotlight on his face, we want fame also! We have taken The Astronauts on tour with us "scars and Broadway". Big cool bunch of dudes and I am sorry for the loss of their tour bus. We will buy and not purchase the Astronauts latest effort respectively

9/30/2015 6:23:16 PM
Singer for SOAD comments are the only reason I click on this website anymore.

9/30/2015 6:29:14 PM
I stream Intronaut almost every day.

9/30/2015 6:44:13 PM
I've never heard of this band. Royalty payout seems pretty damn accurate. It's never enough for musicians these days. You're working a dying profession. Please, stick to your daytime jobs.

9/30/2015 6:45:25 PM
+1 for Bandcamp. Holy shit dudes, get with the times. If you're only selling it on iTunes you're missing a shit load of people who don't want to use that digital store.

9/30/2015 6:48:35 PM
I'll buy one when you come to Baltimore and a shirt too.

9/30/2015 7:12:20 PM
crying about not getting paid is the worst way to get paid. i'm not even going to stream it now, i'm just gonna straight up torrent it. fck you!

9/30/2015 7:26:52 PM
So you all use it for it's convenience yet say fck you when you only get $3 from it? Makes sense.

9/30/2015 7:48:50 PM
there's heap of shit you can buy with $3.67 these days. Listen to these entitled trust fund babies crying because they make shit music no one wants to listen to

- Spotify

9/30/2015 8:02:21 PM
It's based on plays. Band is essentially bitching about not enough people listen to their shitty music to make enough money via a streaming service to call a paycheck.

9/30/2015 8:38:24 PM
To quote The Departed "So make more fcking money, this is America."

The Monster / Eminem / 35.1 million streams / $210,000 – $294,000
OneRepublic / Counting Stars / 57.7 million streams / $346,000 – $484,000
Avicii / Hey Brother / 46.5 million streams / $279,000 – $391,000
Avicii / Wake Me Up / 152.1 million streams / $913,000 – $1.3 million
Drake / Hold On, We're Going Home /47.1 million streams / $283,000 – $396,000

9/30/2015 9:10:08 PM
We have a band on our service called Intronaut? -Spotify

9/30/2015 9:40:51 PM
Lars and the singer of Norma Jean are stoked

9/30/2015 11:30:54 PM
The world needs plenty of bartenders, oh wait.

10/1/2015 5:07:18 AM
lol my local band has made over $400 in royalties off spotify. maybe yall just suck

10/1/2015 6:26:51 AM
These guys played a tour with Cloudkicker, the king of Bandcamp success stories. It's not possible that they don't know how to utilize Bandcamp effectively.

10/1/2015 6:28:27 AM
Lol! There are children in Africa making more than $0.61 a month! This band must suuuuuck.

10/1/2015 7:20:51 AM
this is what happens when exactly 2 people listen to said band

10/1/2015 7:37:32 AM
wah *comments must be between 10 and 1000 characters*

10/1/2015 11:58:46 AM
That must be difficult to realize all that you've put your pathetic heart and soul into is crumbling in front of you and you have no way out because you've been too busy "believing"/lying to yourself for most of your life.
Hopefully a few favors on the road made it all worth it and they can sit back and feel complete before they start their bartending shift..

10/1/2015 1:16:11 PM
great band. saw them crush new orleans w mastodon once

10/1/2015 1:20:25 PM
posting pop and hip hop stream royalties vs underground metal is idiotic. there are far fewer outlets/platforms/licensin g opportunities or even radio pushing this kind of music. if you think max martin is the shit, keep supporting bullshit and he can have all the money that used to go to more than one person in music publishing or keep only listening to music on youtube where it is all for the ad sales or spotify, which has shit royalty rates.

10/1/2015 1:44:29 PM
This is why post-rock fcking sucks.

Self absorbed hipster douches

10/1/2015 4:12:53 PM
how many pep you think found your band thru an app like that, that was the first time i heard of you.... chill

10/1/2015 8:10:23 PM
you are a good band, but you contradicted yourselves by saying that you listen to Spotify. How incredibly pretentious of you. let's get this right, all the members of Intronaut listen to music on Spotify? Do you also purchase every album and go to every show of each artist you listen to on Spotify? I highly doubt it.

10/1/2015 8:10:50 PM
Continued..... I was going to buy the record, but f**k that. I'd rather just download it now. Ehhh maybe I won't even do that now. I bet it was the little guy in the back (aka Danny) who came up with that bullshit. Go back to your shitty jobs , because with that attitude no one will purchase your music or go to your shows.

10/2/2015 4:23:57 AM
"...because w that attitude, no one will buy your music or come to your shows."

I think their music, not their attitude, is the reason they don't do well.

10/5/2015 8:51:27 AM
Hey Wallace! Have you heard of "Death before dying on a twisted river that's bleeding" before? They are the woot!

No, I heard they have a bad attitude. I choose not to support that kind of music. Good riddance!

10/5/2015 3:25:28 PM
I hate Spotify! Well... I mean we all use it, its pretty sick... But yea, F you bro!

-Dick

10/21/2015 10:57:14 AM
This article made me laugh and I already forgot the band's name.