Underoath's Aaron Gillespie on exit from band: 'I was mentally sick'

Wednesday, September 02, 2015 11:00 AM PT

Aaron Gillespie on why he left Underoath

With their reunion tour now set to commence in March 2016, Underoath participated in the latest episode of the BadChristian podcast. Notably, Gillespie opened up about his sudden departure from the band in 2010:

"I was going through a lot of weird emotional shit. I needed to be medicated; I had this crazy anxiety. It's so weird to talk about now in my 30s, but I always thought something was wrong with me. So I just spent all of my time on tour with Underoath kinda' thinking I was dying or was sick, and it sounds funny to say, but I really made that a polarizing thing in my life. Like, 'These guys were out to get me and they think I'm an asshole,' and I was an asshole, to be frank. Looking back on it now, it's so childish and immaterial to what was happening when they were trying to help me all along. I was sick, like, mentally sick, and I know that sounds way dramatized, I have never really talked about this before."

Gillespie subsequently described the events that led up to his exit following a show in Milan, Italy:

"I just thought I was sick. I don't even remember what the hell it was; some bullshit disease that I dreamed up. I had just kept missing soundchecks and I would take a weird taxi to some strange-ass hospital. Tim [McTague, guitar] sat me down with everyone else and said, 'Dude, this is a selfish action.' I don't really remember the logistics of the conversation, or what exactly was said, but the reality of it was true. You know people always have that cheesy saying, 'The truth hurts,' and I was like, 'Shit, I'm pissed now.' Then I somehow rationalized in my brain that I was actually sick and actually had to leave, and I was like, 'Well, screw it, I'm done.' It was a really knee-jerk reaction for me. I guess I've never really given a correct answer, but the truth is that I was just mentally stupid. When I go back and think about it, it's just so strange."

McTague later explained that Gillespie wasn't the only source of issues:

"I remember the last conversation I had with Aaron as a member of Underoath, and it was so brutal. Looking back, it's all water under the bridge, but some of the things that were said were just… no one was acting right. And it was a lot easier to say the guy who has the actual 'problem' is the cause of all this, y'know?"

You can listen to the entire podcast here.

[via Alternative Press]

9/2/2015 11:12:27 AM
Well if no one else is going to say it I guess I will....butt plug. Carry on.

9/2/2015 11:48:42 AM
yeah, you'd have to be mentally sick to be in underoath

9/2/2015 11:54:32 AM
sounds super gay

9/2/2015 12:15:30 PM
I was mentally (sic)

9/2/2015 12:26:04 PM
I will pray for all of these young men.

9/2/2015 12:33:17 PM
NOW THAT IS 1 FACE I WOULD NOT C PAINTED ON THE SIDE OF A JET. HA. OR SPACE SHUTTL - PREVOST - RANGE ROVR - BMW U FA GG OTS GET THE PICTCHA. IGNORE THIS BAND N THERE VAIN ATTMEPST AT A COMBACK - THIS IS A MARKETING PLOY - N ITS NOT WORKING !!!1 GIV MY BOYZ IN PLOT A LITTLE LUV N HEAD OVR 2 ITUNES N DOWNLOAD TAKE ME AWAY GET HYPED N HELP MAKE THERE 4THCOMNG STAYSICK DEBUT THE SECOND HOTTEST RELEASE OF THE YR NEXT 2 PARTY PEOPLES ANTHEM

9/2/2015 12:33:26 PM
lol at Christian Podcasts

9/2/2015 12:54:10 PM
so over this "omg i totally have anxiety" shit. how many band dudes have put out statements like this since the year began?

welcome to life, idiots.

9/2/2015 1:10:34 PM
just wants some internet fame, let her have it

9/2/2015 1:19:03 PM
After the burial is stoked

9/2/2015 4:42:54 PM
f a g g o t

9/2/2015 6:04:03 PM
anxiety is a codeword for drug abuse

"hey guys, i have anxiety. i need to go away for a few months." = i have a drug addiction and am checking myself into rehab

9/2/2015 6:37:16 PM
that was a pathetic attempt at troll, bruh^

9/2/2015 6:55:48 PM
^^ your face is a pathetic attempt at shit

9/2/2015 8:19:33 PM
damn. He seems to have been drowning in his sea of loathing. Musta been down with the sickness.

9/2/2015 8:48:13 PM
Better head line: Underoath's Aaron Gillespie on exit from band:'I was mentally into gay sex'

9/2/2015 8:59:35 PM
band is poop after lawrence left

9/3/2015 1:51:37 AM
Hello, everyone out there in party land, it is me Chris fronzack fronz Attila. Prayer and music for my best friend - Erin Giseppie - under oath . He was stricken with mental health not the good kind (Sex addiction) Say hello to me at his merch tent , I will sell the under armor oath t shirts and a good bag with a drink holder to carry some cola . It gets hot and muggy out on this warped tour , and it is impotent to keep refreshingly cooled off , with the bold individualistic taste -Cola

9/3/2015 5:56:32 AM
All the pressure of making money while playing music around the world and scoring all that sweet post youth-group trim really has got to be rough.

9/3/2015 6:32:32 AM
What's with all these Jesus boys and being mentally ill?

9/3/2015 8:20:56 AM
That explains why he didn't want a beer after the show.

9/3/2015 9:28:19 AM
I could see youth group trim being hard to pass up. Damn. Untouched bro!

9/3/2015 9:46:29 AM
Avi avi aviiii Maria !

9/3/2015 10:23:14 AM
Justin Lowe-flip

Has anyone questioned Trent Hafdahl?

9/3/2015 11:23:46 AM
anonymous9 days ago
^About 2 years ago Underoath was playing in Louisiana w a reformed Nevea Tears. I invite about 12 friends over to hopefully see some actual playing and invite the band over for some Louisiana craft beer. After they wrapped I said, "Aaron, you want a beer?". Aaron didn't answer but walking with a band member and mocked me saying, "Aaron you want a beer?" several times. I was embarrass in front of my friends. You don't act rude to people who are trying to be nice.

9/3/2015 11:27:31 AM
Aaron Gillespie is one of, if not the most douchey persons I've ever met in my life. I went from loving everything he did to realizing how much of liar and an ass hat he is in 2.5 seconds when I asked to take a picture with him. He snubbed me and made me feel like I was 2 inches tall. I will never support any more of his projects. fck that dude. I like how he uses God to make money though. Good try dick cheese.

9/3/2015 12:50:06 PM
To above nerds^

So you felt punked out by some ginger youth group turd.
Get the fck over it.
Be a man and next keep your beer for yourself. Its that simple.

9/5/2015 10:17:22 PM
is no one going to mention fronz' return to the comments?