Kerry King says Mayhem Fest made 'gigantic error'

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 9:18 AM PT

Kerry King of Slayer

A few days after taking Mayhem Festival co-founder Kevin Lyman to task for saying that "metal got gray, bald and fat," Slayer guitarist Kerry King had a few less than flattering things to say about organizers of Mayhem Festival 2015. In an interview with Metal Insider conducted on Sunday in Hartford, Connecticut, King says that "whoever booked [Mayhem] made a gigantic error":

"Do I know this tour wasn't booked correctly? Absolutely I know this tour wasn't booked correctly. Gary Holt made the comment that usually there's the Main Stage, a second stage, a third stage, and then that piece of shit record stage…now what they're calling a second stage is at best a fourth stage and they're wondering why people aren't showing up. I think they waited too long and think all the talent that could have been on this took gigs in Europe. Because there's nobody here touring. It's easy to fill these stages but I guess they wanted a different price point, take away the second and third stage which I think had a lot of value. To me a second stage headliner is Anthrax, Machine Head…Whoever booked this made a gigantic error."

Metal Insider then asked King if he felt that Slayer were in the unfortunate position of having to carry the show:

"It's basically a glorified Slayer show. Let me put it to you this way, last year Slayer, Suicidal [Tendencies], and Exodus played the Eagles Ballroom in Milwaukee and sold it out. Mayhem came through 10 days ago and didn't sell it out. That's what I'm going up against here."

King wasn't done. He added, "I understand it from a fan's perspective. I wouldn't spend money to come to this either."

When asked if this will be Slayer's last appearance on the Mayhem Fest, King said, "This might be the last time you see Mayhem."

7/21/2015 9:51:01 AM
Kerry knows what's up. Would have liked to see king diamond at heavy MTL.

7/21/2015 9:53:22 AM
Metal works best in 700-1000 person capacity clubs. fck the mainstream.

7/21/2015 9:55:12 AM
I never understood the appeal of the movie "My Girl." Like, I dunno man, it just wasn't that good!

7/21/2015 9:56:39 AM
They just need new bands. They've been trying to push all the 2005-10 shit on us and its old. They need to dig deep and find all the new talent that's out there. They're lazy, expecting to put out any lineup and expect to get loads of cash.

7/21/2015 10:05:16 AM
this app is shitty, let's move this to text

7/21/2015 10:05:23 AM
Totally agree with the post above...it really is a shame that a tour like Sounds of the Underground went under. Granted there was a mainstream appeal to it, but at least they were able to take some risks with letting some of the bands on the tour.

7/21/2015 10:22:27 AM
We need this :

-Slayer
-Gojira
-Meshuggah
-Strapping Young Lad

7/21/2015 10:27:43 AM
What they need is new talent ON TOP OF DOING DIFFERENT CITIES go to cities that rarely see this kind of thing it's always fcking Albuquerque California Las Vegas fcking cities and states like those move it around so then people don't say hey fck it I'll go to it next year because I'd rather go to this other show sure get a huge headliner for the show but get new bands that can make it big one day

7/21/2015 10:30:03 AM
King is a fcking elitist piece of shit I've lost so much respect for that band every time that bald fck opens his mouth he doesn't understand metal has changed so much over the years it's not just for old men who only care about the big four

7/21/2015 10:37:33 AM
kerry king's mother made a 'gigantic error'

7/21/2015 10:37:41 AM
so true ^^

7/21/2015 11:06:51 AM
I get some of the hate for Kerry but in this case he's right. This Saturdays show in MA has MANY tickets left available and for that show they want $45+ for most of the place and $45 to $140+ to sit up close before all the fun fees. It's simply not worth it. I saw Slayer closer to home a few months back for $28 a ticket. Why would I now travel for this? Hellyeah...no. The King? Not anymore.

7/21/2015 11:21:23 AM
Call him a douche (and he probably is) but he is right. At the Chicago date there weren't enough tickets sold so everyone w lawn seats got upgraded to seats and there were still open spots. One small stage with too many shitty bands then the main stage. This used to be way better.

7/21/2015 12:43:19 PM
I think what he's actually meaning to say is that his career since God Hates Us All has been a "gigantic error" ... and that he's a fat, old, bald prick that should get off stage.

7/21/2015 12:50:31 PM
Kissing Candice is my favorite band

7/21/2015 1:48:14 PM
Before talking shit he should look at how they performed at Mayhem. Slayer played all the songs too fast and got the hell of the stage. They aren't headliner material. Hellyeah , Sister sin and King diamond actually tried. The second stage had a 20-30 time limit so they had to hurry. Mayhem screwed up by having slayer headline and only having two stages.

7/21/2015 2:24:51 PM
They need to dig deep and find all the new talent that's out there.

There aren't those headliners from that group. That's what Lyman was saying. Nothing has really developed because the old bands wouldn't take a step back to help build.

7/21/2015 3:52:20 PM
fck Kerry king 1987 is over get over your fat bearded self and expand your horizons. Welcome to elitist 2015 lambgoat, fcking tour bus flip.

7/21/2015 11:20:30 PM
Massive shitty tribal tattoos are stoked.

7/22/2015 1:27:41 AM
Big gulps eh? Well, see you later!

7/22/2015 6:59:04 AM
"and then that piece of shit record stage"

LMFAO! AKA VICTORY RECORDS STAGE

7/22/2015 7:00:12 AM
White Chapel/Victory Records Stage= "That Shitty Record Stage"
Gary Holt is the man.

7/22/2015 7:01:09 AM
"Piece of shit record stage"
Still gold though.

7/22/2015 8:56:34 AM
It's kind of epic how huge of a douche Kerry King has become. Breath-taking, really.

7/22/2015 9:03:33 AM
Fairy King-will get a new "tribal" tattoo with the money he makes with slayer's performance from Mayhem fest,maybe get some "sick" barbed wire wrapping around your arms too...

7/22/2015 10:17:53 AM
Remember when 6131 Records was cool, what the F-ck! Julien Baker – "Sprained Ankle"

7/22/2015 1:54:24 PM

7/22/2015 5:20:51 PM
Wtf does 6131 records have to do with anything?