Vital Remains singer explains crucifix incident

Friday, April 10, 2015 9:34 AM PT

Vital Remains crucifix drama on stage

Earlier this week we posted some video showing a minor confrontation that took place during a Vital Remains show in Florida last week.

Frontman Brian Werner has now issued a statement to address what he calls "misinformation" surrounding the matter. Here you go:

"In regards to the cross incident that happened at The Haven in Orlando I feel as though there was much misinformation floating around that I felt the need to respond. First of all this wasn't planned, this was a small club show and wasn't done as some sort of publicity stunt, honestly I didn't think this would have blown up as much as it did, I figured the incident was over once the show was ended.

"First of all I meant no disrespect to the club, that was never my intention. I was simply going to hold it in front of the crowd, make a joke about it, put it on the drum riser, continue the show, then replace it after we performed. My religious preclivities are quite well known and to be asked to perform under that symbol I find grossly offensive. I didn't even notice it before the show because I was at the hotel trying to recover form being in the emergency the night before, I didn't notice it until I was on stage. What if this would have been a Christian band that was asked to perform under a Baphomet or inverted cross? Their protest would be completely validated so why is it different when the roles are reversed? How about respect for us and our beliefs? More importantly how about the respect of our fans (who clearly agreed with us by their FUCK JESUS chants) that choose to buy tickets to see our performance because they know who we are and what we're about? How about their right to not have the show disprespected and interruputed by a woman charging the stage screaming at them and refusing to leave the stage? Besides this is not the first time she has done this, I remember she stormed the stage during another bands set (Catch Rag) and unplugged their amps in mid performance and threw them out. My inbox has been blowing up from other bands that have had similiar experiences with her, so this wasn't an isolated incident, it's a pattern of behavior. Besides if she is so Christian then why were there flyers for "Thy Antichrist" plastered all over the club? Clearly it's a blatant hypocrisy to stand on a religious soap box while inviting bands like these into their club to pay her bills as long as the fans spend their hard earned money there.

"After the show I was physcially ejected by security and they told the fans they were not allowed to purchase merchandise, that didn't stop us I set up merch right outside. She then punched our new guitarist (who had nothing to do with the situation at all) in the back while he was loading gear. Not that is was threatening at all, but the fact that she was willing to take it to a physical level just shows her level of immaturity and unprofessionalism not ours.

"In closing was this whole incident stupid? Obviously it was. I meant no disrespect to the club or the promoter, I was simply going to take it down, make a joke out of it and replace it once the show was over. Apparently that was to much to ask from some people who don't understand the very basic liberty of free speech and religion. Yes there is a time and a place for free speech but if you can't express your free speech and thought through art then where can you?"

4/10/2015 9:44:16 AM
crucifix flip

4/10/2015 9:46:20 AM
Do you think they banged? I do.

4/10/2015 10:01:13 AM
Claims freedom of speech, ignores clubs freedom of speech.

It works both ways crybaby!

4/10/2015 10:18:53 AM
In her defense making a joke about her religion is usually deemed somewhat disrespectful. In their defense she's f*kking crazy.

4/10/2015 10:31:39 AM
Brian is a good dude.

4/10/2015 10:36:48 AM
Total dipshit. Logic flip.

4/10/2015 10:49:03 AM
Suicidebears is not stoked.

4/10/2015 10:56:21 AM
why no papa roach news on lambgoat?

4/10/2015 11:01:53 AM
You know what would have been way cooler?
Just playing the show regardless of what crap is hanging on the walls.

4/10/2015 11:09:51 AM
Every band "feels the need to respond" to something these days. My life didn't come crashing down around this, I don't need the details.

4/10/2015 11:36:49 AM
this dude just further proves his cornball status with shit like this. just shut up and play your shit-tier death metal quietly like everyone else does.

4/10/2015 11:36:54 AM
"Given the seriousness of the incident involving myself and the bisexual sucker and my subsequent arrest for lewd acts with a minor, I feel the need to respond."

Frank Palmeri

4/10/2015 11:38:32 AM
I doubt a Christian band would lead a "fck Satan" chant though. Reading this guys pseudo-logical diatribe, and then watching the video, there is a serious disconnect. Why does he feel so threatened? I understand having problems with religion, but he comes off as childish.

4/10/2015 11:38:52 AM
I'm confused, did the crucifix distort the sound or effect the musicians or the show at all? Oh, didn't? Who cares then. It's a piece of wood.

4/10/2015 12:07:24 PM
Apologies are for the weak, honk honk-skeeter valentine, doug funny best friend

4/10/2015 1:04:36 PM
OH MY GOD JUST SHUT THE HELL UP

4/10/2015 1:25:32 PM
Band is breasts

4/10/2015 1:48:51 PM
"What if this would have been a Christian band that was asked to perform under a Baphomet or inverted cross? Their protest would be completely validated so why is it different when the roles are reversed?"

Nah they probably wouldve been made fun of and told to get the FCK over it which is what we're saying to you. Shut up and sit down.

4/10/2015 2:01:59 PM
No one cares

4/10/2015 2:38:16 PM
This is what happens when your band sucked for the last decade or two and you are an old worthless has-been. Pull some stupid gimmick on stage and then argue and whine a storm when getting the response you were begging for. Keep wailing over nothing you pathetic PR-craving old/worthless twats.

4/10/2015 4:16:18 PM
I have no problem with anything that happened in that video. That lady is nuts, this dude approached the situation like he was 15. The problem isnt what happened, its that people validate it as an "issue" by paying attention.

4/10/2015 8:25:00 PM
How about an apology for desecrating club property? No?.....

4/10/2015 8:31:37 PM
Probably vandalism and defacing property too.

4/10/2015 8:35:33 PM
just a bunch of winners right here

4/10/2015 11:10:00 PM
Wow. Not since his Trayvon Martin –Stand Your Ground hoodie "design" has Mr. Werner made such a compelling and logical argument. Bonus points to him for waiting all 10 seconds of civil conversation before blurting out "fck that piece of shit on that cross! He can suck my c-ck in hell!" like a 13 year old Pantera fan. Good job making all of us non-Christians look like we've got it together so well!

4/10/2015 11:40:24 PM
Tha fck is a "preclivities"?!

4/11/2015 1:14:42 AM
http://celebnmusic247.com/ wp-content/uploads/2013/09 /amber-rose-satanist-anti- chris-cross-902-3.jpg

4/11/2015 5:08:05 AM
Give you broken rib to Adam

4/11/2015 8:15:17 AM
Can't rely on their music to get fans so they have to turn to stunts. OMG Mudvayne bra

4/11/2015 12:38:29 PM
trying to recover form being in the emergency the night before trying to recover form being in the emergency the night before trying to recover form being in the emergency the night before trying to recover form being in the emergency the night before trying to recover form being in the emergency the night before trying to recover form being in the emergency the night before

4/11/2015 12:40:02 PM
when are they gonna release a new album?
stop riding bentons c-ck

4/11/2015 10:36:32 PM
Saying that a half naked man nailed to wood can "suck your fckin' c-ck in hell" is totally NOT GAY.

- Glen "Take my butthole to Pound Town!" Benton
&
Brian "Tuckin' my Monkey and Pee Wees while I fantasize about engaging in a 69 with Anton Szandor Lavey" Werner.

The toughest dudes in Death Metal! INFERNAL HAILS!!! \m/ \m/

4/11/2015 10:43:19 PM
Fück yeah! Fücking HAILS BROTHER!!! \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ HAILS!!! \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ INFERNAL HAILS!!! \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ HAILS YEAH!!! \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ FÜCKING UP THE HORNS BRO!!! HORNS UP!!! \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ FUÇKING HORNS UP!!! HORNS THE FÜCK UP BROS!!! \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ WHERE ARE MY FUÇKING HORNS THE FUÇK AT?!?!? \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/

4/11/2015 10:48:13 PM
DUDE WHAT THE FÜCK? MY CAPTCHA WAS FÜCKING 311 BRO??? KILL THOSE POSER FÅGS BRO!!! KILL THEM WITH THE HORNS BRO!!! \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/. <----- KILL EM WITH THOSE BRO!!! AMBER IS THE COLOR OF MY ENEMY BRO!! FÜCKING HORNS THE FUÇK UP BRO!!! \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ HORNS BRO!!! METAL!!! FÜCKING KNAC AND ZROCK BRO!!! HORNS THE FÜCK UP BRO!!! \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/ \m/

4/12/2015 6:49:38 AM
The main thing that sucks is the fact that this is just a bunch of clowns rolling around as vital remains. Couple of guys made a sick album called Dechristianize once and it was awesome. Now it's a joke cover band and the vocalist is a white trash p.o.s. It's like if a bunch of random idiots got together and tried to make pulp fiction 2 with $500

4/12/2015 5:37:27 PM
i lol'd at the "13 year old pantera fan" comment. that was on point.

4/13/2015 6:16:20 AM
Dude, you acted 12, and you're defending it like you're 12.

4/13/2015 7:10:02 AM
trayvon is not stoked on this band

4/13/2015 7:27:51 AM
Cool.

4/13/2015 11:22:19 PM
Better buy stock in wallet chains cuz this band is GOIN' PLACES!!! WHEW!!!

4/14/2015 10:20:25 AM