Black Flag vocalist Ron Reyes exits band (again)

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 7:50 PM PT

Black Flag frontman Ron Reyes is apparently once again out of the band. In a post that has since disappeared from Facebook, Reyes explains how he was essentially removed from the stage by Mike Vallely during a show in Australia earlier this week. Reyes also describes a less than healthy relationship with Greg Ginn, among other problems. Here you go:

"On November 24th 2013 the last night of the Australian Hits and Pits tour with two songs left in the set Mike V comes on stage stares me down, takes my mic and says 'You're done, party's over get off it's over...' He said something else to me but it was a lie so I won't repeat it here. So with a sense of great relief that it was finally over I left the stage and walked to the hotel room. They finished the set with Mike V on vocals. There is much more that can and perhaps should be said. But for now I will spare you the gory details. The writing was on the wall since before we played our first show. So many things went wrong from the start. I was into things like having a good drummer, rehearsing and spending time on things like beginnings and endings of songs, being a little less distracted with tour life and a little more on the ball. You know things that would make our efforts worthy of the name Black Flag... Yes it is my opinion that we fell very short indeed and the diminishing ticket sales and crowds are a testament to that. However, it was made clear to me that raising these issues was tantamount to a blasphemous stab in the back to Greg. How could I question him, his efforts and hard work? How could I dare be a fan of OFF! And or be friends and a fan of Flag? I was told that I had to chose sides. But I refuse to treat someone like an infalable Pope figure. No guitarist deserves such unquestioning blind devotion. And so I have been excommunicated in a very strange fashion.

"I truly feel sorry for anyone who had to witness the infantile behaviour and the relentless provocation I was subjected to both on and off the stage. I regret that under such fierce provocation and taunting I sometimes responded in manners bellow my standard. I am grateful for the opportunities Greg gave me. There were some magical moments at first. I was naive enough to believe in the promise of potential. But in the end the good was no match for the overwhelming bad. I am proud of my contributions including the new album and its cover. Come on, folks, it's only rock n roll.

"I would not be surprised if Mike V becomes the new singer for Black Flag. It is my opinion that they have been planing this for some time. I wish them well. Mike is a true disciple of Greg and so they have a good working relationship. And ironicly the tension over the last weeks has brought out some of Greg's best playing. So it could be interesting. I will miss playing with Dave Klien. He is a great kid and truly an outstanding bass player. Dave was an anchor that kept me from losing my place on a nightly basis. Trust me that was no easy task for either of us. I truly apologize for being in or more accurately 'appearing' to be in competition with 'Flag'. They know my heart on this matter. From the beginning I was happy for them and fully supported and understood why they would want to rock those songs and have a good time with friends and family. Yes, I questioned their use of the name and logo but in no way questiond their motivation or right to do their thing. I envy them for they have succeeded in ways that were never possible with 'Black Flag'. And once again for the record, I agreed to do Black Flag before I knew there was a Flag. I mean no malice towards Greg or Mike although they will most likely see things very differently. I wish them luck and prosperity. I have learned many valuable lessons this year. And these lessons will enrich my personal and musical endeavours. Cheers. Ron Reyes."

11/26/2013 8:01:32 PM

11/26/2013 8:02:53 PM
What a dick

11/26/2013 8:21:18 PM
well it was only a matter of time. it's amazing how the reunited version of Black Flag that had the only original and constant member is the bastardized version.

11/26/2013 8:21:55 PM
Mike V has always seemed like a massive prick to me.

11/26/2013 8:29:49 PM
"Blah Blah Blah, I'm an old gay and a pssy, blah blah."

11/26/2013 8:37:20 PM
"He said something else to me but it was a lie so I won't repeat it here." - "You are a gay"

11/26/2013 8:48:36 PM
WHAT THE?!?!?

11/26/2013 8:59:53 PM
Guns n' Roses over here....

11/26/2013 9:03:11 PM
"I am proud of my contributions including the new album and its cover."

Really? You're REALLY proud of that album cover that looks like a ripoff of a child's candy wrapper design?

11/26/2013 9:11:28 PM
more breakdowns

11/26/2013 9:22:10 PM
Flaggotry.

11/26/2013 9:36:37 PM
Flag is the far more legitimate version of the band but I still don't give a fck about any of this.

11/26/2013 10:03:01 PM

11/26/2013 10:57:29 PM
Mike V is a sick skater, hopefully he can make black flag less of a joke

11/26/2013 11:32:53 PM
>2014-1
>thinking sk8rs are siq

top kek

11/27/2013 12:07:15 AM
Good. Flag has a more solid reputation.

11/27/2013 12:10:52 AM
insert Henry Rollins laughing here

11/27/2013 1:14:36 AM
questiond

11/27/2013 3:45:32 AM
I'm not sure how anyone could be proud of what Black Flag has done over the past year. I saw them, and it was awful.

Flag, however, was one of the best shows of my life.

11/27/2013 6:59:49 AM
lol Mike V...what the fck man

11/27/2013 7:16:01 AM
More drama than a highschool home room

11/27/2013 7:27:37 AM
who the fck is mike v ?85999886

11/27/2013 7:55:54 AM
Tired of hearing their awful song in GTA V

11/27/2013 8:57:38 AM
"stares me down, takes my mic and says 'You're done, party's over get off it's over..."

lorenzo antonucci is stoked

11/27/2013 9:06:33 AM
IMABOT TO HAVV A NUVUS BREKDOWNM

11/27/2013 11:17:53 AM
So in other words, you got punked by Mike V and he stole your position in a shitty fcking band. All that could have been said with alot less words.

11/27/2013 1:42:01 PM
Mike Vallely singing for Black Flag? I don't know, I can't really picture that band being fronted by an attention starved jock poet.

11/27/2013 2:17:43 PM

11/27/2013 2:20:57 PM
I am grateful for the opportunities Greg gave me. There were some magical moments at first. I am grateful for the opportunities Greg gave me. There were some magical moments at first.I am grateful for the opportunities Greg gave me. There were some magical moments at first. I am grateful for the opportunities Greg gave me. There were some magical moments at first.

11/27/2013 4:34:31 PM
Nobody cares (again)

11/27/2013 4:52:26 PM
Mike V = good dude, Ron = fcking drama queen idiot.

11/28/2013 5:37:45 AM
Dudes are shocked by Gregg "Center of Attention" Ginn being just as much of a prissy gay as he was 30 years ago? Say it ain't so! Also: who the fck is Mike V? Bandflip.

12/5/2013 9:00:47 PM