The Faceless singer confirms departure

Thursday, May 19, 2011 9:21 PM PT

If you've been paying attention to the Internet the last few days, you've probably learned that The Faceless has been performing without singer Derek Rydquist as-of-late. Although most have assumed that Rydquist was no longer in the band, there has been no official comment on the matter, until now.

Rydquist apparently took pity on us following our post on the matter earlier this week, sending Lambgoat the following statement:

"As you Internet sleuths have deduced, I have left The Faceless. I left the band a couple months ago, and we were waiting until they had everything sorted out on their end before saying anything about it, but I guess I'll take it upon myself to break the news. I am no longer emotionally or artistically fulfilled by being the vocalist for the group, and that's how I arrived at my decision. Touring's luster has worn off, and I have found myself reconsidering the role I would like to take in creating and presenting music. Also, being a 'professional musician' was kind of ruining my love for music because when you rely on this stuff to make you money, as with anything, it is easy to become bitter towards it. Not that it was all bad, I had the best times I will ever have being in this band, but it is time for me to move on.

"I'd like to thank the band and the friends I've made through the band for making this not only a life altering experience, but a life shaping one. There is an immense amount of talent in this band, and the new vocalist they have is doing a great job, so please keep supporting The Faceless. I can now join you in anticipating the new album.

"If you're interested, I'm now playing in another group with some dudes from some awesome bands. Check it out at www.facebook.com/bewilderbiest. We're mixing the album right now, so we should have some music up soon."

Oh, and in case you're wondering, Geoff Ficco (Kamikabe, Orgone) has apparently been singing for The Faceless since Rydquist's departure.

Update: Apparently this post compelled The Faceless to finally address the situation. Guitarist Michael Keene has issued the following:

"So, as some of you may have heard, Derek is no longer in The Faceless. We wish him the best of luck and will always value the time he spent in our band. Our new vocalists name is Geoffrey Ficco and he is truly a beast! If you've heard our demo for 'The Eidolon Reality' than you've already heard his punishing vocals."

5/19/2011 9:25:58 PM
cool beans

5/19/2011 9:28:40 PM
Nate Johnson

5/19/2011 9:34:10 PM
"I'm tired of playing music, so check out my new band."

5/19/2011 9:36:27 PM
Hero took my comment! LOL!

5/19/2011 9:47:35 PM
SWM seeks band for emotional fulfillment

5/19/2011 9:55:40 PM
trend hopper

5/19/2011 10:18:19 PM
lol-- i'm burned out-- guess i'll join a new band. fcking awesome growls nontheless

5/19/2011 10:20:52 PM
he was the weakest link in the faceless. replaced(able)

5/19/2011 11:27:38 PM
Geoff Ficco is an absolute Beast! been watching that dude in Kamikabe since I was about 16 years old.

5/20/2011 12:09:25 AM
I told you, fckers

5/20/2011 12:13:34 AM
So is it him or not on the pre-pro? Because if its not the guy that replaced him must be a clone...

5/20/2011 12:45:24 AM
im super bummed i loved dob man. Hopefully his new stuff is good.

5/20/2011 1:19:05 AM
100% percent sure the faceless has peaked. Nevertheless it is THE FACELESS........

5/20/2011 1:55:27 AM
well i guess their faceless, when it comes to a front man at the moment.

5/20/2011 4:18:45 AM
Bewilderbiest? what a gaygy band name.

5/20/2011 8:29:00 AM
Hah, and I am sure Bewilderbiest will solve all of those said financial woes.

5/20/2011 8:32:04 AM
faceflip

5/20/2011 8:36:08 AM
*dusts off old Lambgoat cliche*...ahem...NO CARE EVER!

5/20/2011 8:45:04 AM
bob burnquist wants his suffix back.

5/20/2011 8:47:08 AM
All down hill for him once he got the dog.

5/20/2011 9:11:14 AM
to be honest, his vocals were a little on the weak side. not much in the way of range and overall power. he's better off doing other projects.

5/20/2011 11:10:02 AM
Oh no!!! how will the band ever replace someone that only did growls....just throw in the towel now you pole smokers

5/20/2011 5:38:49 PM
I bet it's because the band re-signed to Sumerian

5/20/2011 8:40:37 PM
Orgone > The Faceless

5/21/2011 3:31:20 PM
Neat.

5/21/2011 11:21:33 PM
LoydChristmas 5/20/2011 8:45:04 AM bob burnquist wants his suffix back. /// HAHA so good

5/23/2011 9:34:09 AM
I am not a fan of shitty "look what I can do" show off sweeping and triggered, childish, uncreative blast beats that sound like any moron with sticks could play