NewsMarch 8, 2022 10:23 PM ET19,729 views

Deftones part ways with bassist Sergio Vega

Update: Watch a video statement from Sergio Vega below.

Deftones

If a small quantity of circumstantial evidence is to be believed, Deftones have parted ways with bass player of twelve years, Sergio Vega.

Talk of his departure appears to have started late last month when some Deftones fans noticed that Spotify and Apple Music changed the group's official photo on their respective services. As you may have guessed, the latest photo doesn't include Vega.

Couple that development with the fact that Vega — also a longtime member of Quicksand — began selling much of his gear online in January, and some publicly started to wonder if anything was afoot. Among those seemingly looking for answers was Robert Nelson, host of the Change (In the House of Pods) podcast, who reportedly posted the following:

Robert Nelson screenshot

Not long thereafter, a response (see below) to Nelson's query attributed to Deftones vocalist Chino Moreno stated, "btw, vega didn't quit. that fool was outta pocket. he gone fh."

Chino Moreno on Sergio Vega

At this point, there is no official word on Vega's status in the Deftones, but in our experience, where there's smoke, there's generally fire. Either way, we expect to find out definitively next month when Deftones commence their U.S. tour with Gojira and Vowws.

UPDATE: Vega has now confirmed his departure, issuing the following statement via video (see below):

"Hi everybody. I hope this finds you well. I didn't wanna have to make a video about this, but after the recent band photo posted on Deftones' Spotify, I feel the need to clear the air. I'm not very good at this, so I wrote out a statement and I will read it to you now.

"To give a brief history about me and my friendship with Deftones. We met in 1995. I filled in for Chi [Cheng, late Deftones bassist] — rest in peace — in 1999 and was asked to work with the band after his tragedy in 2009. Because of the love they have for Quicksand, I was asked to bring the same approach as a songwriter and arranger to them as well. I was also told that, similarly to Frank [Delgado], I would be brought in over time to become an official member. I had worked with the band for 12 years, and at the start of every album cycle, I asked about becoming an official member, but the contract would be improved instead.

"Covid was a breaking point for a lot of people and I started to question my place in the band and the future that I wanted for my career. I really started to need something stable, because, at that point, my contract with them was canceled. One day I got a call from the guys about an internal band situation, and they asked me if I was solid and that I would have to fly out to L.A. to help work it out right away. I said, of course, I was all in, and 'we can handle my situation later. But I can't go back to my old contract.' Our respective management had a conversation to discuss a new contract and they offered me the same deal. At that point, it was clear there was no opportunity for growth for me, so I declined the offer. And then I called the guys immediately to see where the miscommunication was to resolve it but there was no response. A couple of days later, I received an email from their lawyer that their offer was withdrawn and that they wished me the best. So I left the band early last year and since then I've been focused on my band Quicksand as well as working as a producer and writer for other artists and projects. And I'm mentioning this because there was some speculation about me selling my gear and quitting music altogether."Out of respect for the people who have held tickets for this tour the past couple of years and everyone who supports the band, I felt it important to bring some clarity to the situation.

"Lots of love and thanks to Deftones' amazing fanbase for always being engaged and supportive of the band through good times and bad. I appreciate every single one of you. All my love to the fans that have become friends, the people that have supported my other projects. It brought me so much joy to see Deftones shirts at Quicksand shows and I will cherish this forever.

"Lastly, thanks so much to the 'Tones. I wish they had the chance to tell you this in person. I want you to know that I appreciate all the years we spent together, writing, performing, being taken into your worlds. I learned a lot from each one of you. When you brought me in, you created a new sense of passion for music that I will always cherish and carry with me. You truly changed my life."

anonymous 3/8/2022 7:28:25 PM

Damn. What was Vega doing before Deftones?

anonymous 3/8/2022 7:36:35 PM

Hey Chino, the only "fool outta pocket" is you & you lost your best bassist ever, clown.

rick_tocchet 3/8/2022 7:45:33 PM

They should of broke up when Che died anyways. Hang it up boyz. Call it a day.

anonymous 3/8/2022 7:50:11 PM

Che>Sergio No comparison

anonymous 3/8/2022 7:57:16 PM

What does "fh" mean?? Lol

anonymous 3/8/2022 8:13:23 PM

It's CHI, not Che, you idiots.

anonymous 3/8/2022 8:13:54 PM

Fh????

anonymous 3/8/2022 8:14:28 PM

been refusing to listen to this diabetic wigger band for 20 years now. still holding strong

anonymous 3/8/2022 8:16:28 PM

But are the deftones safe???

anonymous 3/8/2022 8:39:52 PM

I remember when he was eliminated in the 97 King of the Ring by Stone Cold.

anonymous 3/8/2022 8:40:17 PM

have we been able to confirm their whereabouts and safety after 2015 Paris?

anonymous 3/8/2022 8:48:55 PM

Eh. Dude was kind of a weenie anyways. The best parts of Deftones are still intact.

anonymous 3/8/2022 9:01:38 PM

He moved back to New York.

anonymous 3/8/2022 9:02:18 PM

" The best parts of Deftones are still intact." Correct

anonymous 3/8/2022 9:22:13 PM

anonymous 3/8/2022 10:00:43 PM

anonymous 3/8/2022 10:54:53 PM

Could never replace Chi and Sergio is Quicksand. Problem is Walter fired Tom so now Quicksand suck too.

anonymous 3/8/2022 10:55:15 PM

*In Quicksand

anonymous 3/8/2022 11:08:18 PM

lol nobody in here can figure out that fh is f*ck him

anonymous 3/8/2022 11:40:15 PM

Somewhere in Poughkeepsie Matt Fox is wondering if this dude is available to do vocals on the next Shai Hulud tour.

anonymous 3/8/2022 11:41:24 PM

Deftones: *a member does something out of pocket fh* Deftones fans: " I watched you change"

anonymous 3/8/2022 11:43:32 PM

Tool guy here IMMMMM YOOOOUUUURRRR PAAAAASSSEEEENGGER

anonymous 3/9/2022 2:42:45 AM

Deftones was for nu-metal fans who didn't want to admit they loved nu-metal

anonymous 3/9/2022 3:37:25 AM

Deftones was for nu-metal fans who didn't want to admit they loved nu-metal Tool*

anonymous 3/9/2022 3:41:45 AM

For some reason it looks like money but what I heard in all of that is he grew tired of being forced to write to Steph's bad guitar playing. The subtle portion about being a writer was probably what really caused the splinter. Steph can barely play guitar so there is no way he could write to a complex bass line.

anonymous 3/9/2022 4:03:32 AM

My name is saaantinaaaa

carveyournamein 3/9/2022 4:03:37 AM

Sergio seems like a good dude.

anonymous 3/9/2022 4:10:40 AM

"You are no longer one of us" - Deff Tones

anonymous 3/9/2022 4:40:17 AM

Vega's statement is what a mature and rational human being does to address a weird situation. Like, seriously, more people need to take cues from normal dudes like that.

Jemenez_Cricket 3/9/2022 4:50:16 AM

Who gives a shit

anonymous 3/9/2022 5:19:17 AM

You couldn't fill Chi's shoes anyway.

anonymous 3/9/2022 5:29:35 AM

ETID should take notes

anonymous 3/9/2022 5:30:20 AM

Wow then maybe rumors are true. Supposedly Manny ex-glassjaw bassist is in the band now.

anonymous 3/9/2022 5:30:57 AM

Diamond Eyes was the only good record since he joined. Which seems to have been largely written before he entered the picture.

anonymous 3/9/2022 6:16:11 AM

*whisper sings then YELLS*

anonymous 3/9/2022 6:18:36 AM

Alan Trammell here, *double play flip to Sweet Lou*

rick_tocchet 3/9/2022 6:38:03 AM

anonymous 10 hours ago It's CHI, not Che, you idiots. Do you know what color underwear he wore on stage too ? Go wait behind venues and s*ck the d*cks of the stage hands you loser.

anonymous 3/9/2022 7:15:08 AM

chino sounds like a dipshit

anonymous 3/9/2022 7:33:10 AM

anonymous 3 hours ago "You are no longer one of us" - Deff Tones This comment is underrated.

anonymous 3/9/2022 7:46:00 AM

Haylen "NYC" Trammel here, I'd fill in!

anonymous 3/9/2022 8:00:50 AM

f*ck Deftones and their lame fan base

anonymous 3/9/2022 8:08:08 AM

"He quit cuz they're awful people and they're trying to make people think they kicked him out. If they fired him they'd have said so." Sergio's statement straight up says they pulled his offer and told him he was out. Even the worst contract being a side guy for deftones is gonna be worth more than the laugh factory that is modern Quicksand, not to mention all the other whackass shit he did between Quicksand breaking up and getting the deftones' gig. Hopefully he can get his Niagara gig back.

anonymous 3/9/2022 8:26:05 AM

Fat wiggers who are in touch with their feminine side are not stoked.

anonymous 3/9/2022 9:20:32 AM

Never undestood how anyone pays to see this mediocre shitty band

anonymous 3/9/2022 9:56:21 AM

Chino writes like a teenage girl. Sergio is too classy for this nu-metal.

anonymous 3/9/2022 10:46:21 AM

"btw, vega didn't quit. that fool was outta pocket. he gone fh." Would someone care to translate this into standard English? He didn't quit. He was never a full member anyways. He's gone now. f*ck HIM. It never fails to surprise me how dumb LG posters are.

anonymous 3/9/2022 10:52:24 AM

^ War on Women drummer

anonymous 3/9/2022 11:01:45 AM

Chino Moreno is such a low life clown

anonymous 3/9/2022 11:08:25 AM

The whole band is a bunch of lowlifes. They party with Cypress Hill everyday.

anonymous 3/9/2022 11:45:56 AM

Lmao at the comments comparing Sergio to Chi but can't even spell the dude's name correctly. This whole band is outta pocket now. Chino is a cokehead, Stephen is a flat earther, and they are really showing their whole assholes by pulling a Slipknot moving, giving a huge middle finger to a great musician who has supported them since the emotional turmoil of Chi's death. Been a diehard fan for many years, and this right here made me lose all respect for this clown ass band. RIP.

anonymous 3/9/2022 12:42:56 PM

It's the Metallica thing all over. Guy has practically been in the band as long as the previous member yet he isn't a member. GTFO. If Deftones is struggling to pay a bass player his fair share they have bigger problems.

anonymous 3/9/2022 3:08:00 PM

It looks like Chino's hand is on that dudes thigh

anonymous 3/9/2022 3:53:04 PM

Music to live in your mothers basement to

anonymous 3/9/2022 4:37:11 PM

He quit cuz they're awful people and they're trying to make people think they kicked him out. If they fired him they'd have said so." Sergio's statement straight up says they pulled his offer and told him he was out. >>> No, he rejected their bullsh it offer & they withdrew it to save face but too late as he announced he wasn't accepting their stringalong bullsh it contract before they announced they withdrew it. Again if they fired him they'd have said so but they won't say so cuz everyone that matters knows the real deal: they're greedy chumps. A dozen years and they can't make Sergio an official member cuz less money for them. Scumbags. Wacktones.

anonymous 3/9/2022 5:59:39 PM

LOL at the people strongly defending a dude who's a professional passenger.

anonymous 3/9/2022 7:00:36 PM

FH means full h0m0 I don't know why mod keeps deleting post while trying to educate people for f*ck sake

floorpuncher 3/9/2022 7:11:45 PM

so so sick. i am really happy about i read everything here

anonymous 3/9/2022 7:31:19 PM

anonymous 3/9/2022 7:31:53 PM

fh is from here, "he's gone from here" you idiots

anonymous 3/9/2022 7:39:41 PM

I think FH is f*ck him. He seemed pissed when writing the comment so I'm only assuming that's what it means. Anyways best wishes to every musician out there.

anonymous 3/9/2022 9:45:27 PM

fh is frothy handjob you mongoloids.

anonymous 3/10/2022 12:19:39 AM

"It always amazes me at how two people (or sets of people) can have glaringly different versions of what happened or why they aren't in said band anymore." There's this strange phenomenon you might come across one day in your travels. Its called 'lying'.

anonymous 3/10/2022 4:16:46 AM

I'm guessing FH means "f*ck him". Just a wild f*cking guess, retards.

anonymous 3/10/2022 4:30:46 AM

Friedrich Hayek obviously. He's trying to say that (without just coming right out and saying it) Sergio's demand for full membership is not a product of his own will, but represents instead the interests of his management… what Hayek would call "coercion". I don't have enough information to agree or disagree but CLEARLY this is what Chino Moreno thinks.

anonymous 3/10/2022 5:06:02 AM

Shut this woke blue haired flamer up. Go back bartending at dive bars on Avenue A in NYC.

carveyournamein 3/10/2022 5:11:52 AM

I'm 100% certain FH means Fart Hard.

anonymous 3/10/2022 6:31:28 AM

The fh is internet shorthand for Free Him (refers to joe exotic and rose to popularity in recent years)

anonymous 3/10/2022 12:38:20 PM

Sergio is too good of a guy for this band. Quicksand is a far better fit.

anonymous 3/14/2022 11:00:20 AM

He spent 12 years of his life making 4 great albums, yet it wasn't enough to make him, an "official member"??? Deftones are Bunch of greedy f****s, Sergio deserves better than this.