NewsAugust 17, 2021 2:51 PM ET9,904 views

Soulfly frontman Max Cavalera fires back at ex-guitarist Marc Rizzo

Soulfly (Cavalera and Rizzo)

Soulfly founder and frontman Max Cavalera has responded to comments made by former guitarist Marc Rizzo, who recently said that he "got no support from Soufly" during the pandemic."

After it was publicly revealed that Rizzo had been fired by Cavalera earlier this year, Rizzo went on to accuse Cavalera and Soulfly of doing nothing to support him after spending 18 years in the band.

"There was no sort of loans that were taken out for the bandmembers or the crew," Rizzo explained. "This is just the honest thing of what happened. I had to go back and get a day job. I was doing home renovations, working very hard, 10 hours a day. A Soulfly live record came out. I never saw a dime off that... There were years that were good financially, but this year, there was no loans, there was no, 'Hey, let's do a live video to make money for the bandmembers or maybe let's do a special merch deal'... Soulfly didn't do anything for the bandmembers or the crew. It's just not right to do that to people during a time like this."

Addressing the matter via a new interview with webzine Metal Kaoz, Cavalera had the following to say (as transcribed by Blabbermouth):

"I don't know. He had a mental breakdown. I don't know, man. This is crazy. And I don't really understand all these accusations too; it's so out of character for him. I don't know.

"When you're in a band, the way I am, sometimes you tour for three months, and sometimes you come back from tour and it's nice to have the space from the [other] musicians. I had that with my brother; sometimes I go six months without talking to Igor, and then we go on tour again. And it's the same with Mike [Leon, bass], and it's the same with some of the crew, and it's the same with Marc.

"All these accusations — it hurts. It hurts to hear. After everything that we did for him, which was a lot — we put him on all the records and always took really good care of him, always really, really gave good treatment to him. To hear him backstabbing us like that, it's just not nice. He's obviously trying to get fans to be against me and make him the victim.

"I don't have bad things to say about Marc myself. He was cool during Soulfly, and we made great records. But I think maybe it just ran its course. I noticed it was a little bit stale; the situation was a little bit stale. The last show we did was in Mexico, and I could tell something felt a little bit different. But I was getting ready to tour, getting ready to go back on tour. And then we started hearing all these crazy accusations from him. He even said in one of the interviews he had a mental breakdown a month ago or something.

"I don't know, man. It just sucks. We're not supposed to do that to each other, to musicians that we play with. A lot of ex-Soulfly guys are all friends of mine — Roy [Mayorga], Johny Chow, Mikey [Doling], Logan [Mader]. It's nice. You had your time in Soulfly, and we keep the friendship. He seems just very bitter about everything. It just sucks to hear all that. It definitely hurts me when I hear all these accusations that I know are lies and bullshit; it's all fabricated by his crazy mind. I don't know. It's a strange situation.

"I had to do something. So in July, I made the decision to have him no longer be in the band. And it was not an easy decision because we spent 18 years together, but it was a decision. I had to make that. I had to look out for Soulfly. And then I had the idea to invite Dino to be on the tour. 'Cause we already had the tour booked.

"I think we grew apart also. Little by little, on every tour I noticed him hanging out less and things like that. Even musically, I don't think we liked the same stuff. I like a lot of the newer, heavier stuff. I don't think we even liked the same stuff anymore. So it's one of those things — you grow apart from each other.

"I don't want to turn this into an ugly thing. I don't wanna talk bad about him; I really don't. Of course I don't like those accusations, and it's bullshit, but he has the right to say whatever. But I think we treated him really good through all those years. We put him on the map pretty much. When he joined the band, not many people knew him. Just a little bit of gratitude would have been nice. Because even on 'Max Trax' [Cavalera's a twice-weekly Internet video series in which he discusses the inspiration for many of the songs spanning his nearly 40-year music career], when I mentioned that I fired him, I thanked him for the 18 years of Soulfly, and I said good luck on his projects. I'm not bitter. I don't wanna be a bitter guy.

"It's a tough business, man. It's tough. These things happen, and you have to have thick skin. There's many fans that agree with him or [disagree with him]. Whatever. It is what it is. I tried to make the best of the situation. That's why I have Dino, a friend, a great riffmaster, a great shredder. And I'm looking forward to the future projects."

easyhateoven 356 days ago

anonymous 356 days ago

Everything Cavalera does sucks.

anonymous 356 days ago

thought this said he died

anonymous 356 days ago

"I'm still making royalties off previous records and released a live album that didn't benefit anyone, and when I get called out for it, I dunno man, I just don't know why they'd do that to me. So I'm going to attack his mental health and fire him. I just dont know. Oh hey I feel bad about all this too. I just don't know"

anonymous 356 days ago

who interviews Soulfly anymore?

anonymous 356 days ago

Max took a lot of time to maneuver around the actual accusation. He never addresses shorting Rizzo of cash. Talked about everything but...

anonymous 356 days ago

Times are so hard he can't even wash his hair

anonymous 356 days ago

This was really important news.

anonymous 356 days ago

LOL "I put him on the map" sounds f*cked up and the mental health stuff sounds like gaslighting fr

earthpart20 356 days ago

a great shredder lol let me tab out max's last ten years of riffs tune way down 001001001001006! Must be really hard to find someone who can play a one string guitar. He probably ripped that guy off just like he said, lets be honest lol he's just trying to save face because it's public. "i dont know man" yeah.. you know.

anonymous 356 days ago

notice he didn't answer any of the accusations other than to say they are lies. how much 'support' did you give the band during 2020? simple question.

anonymous 356 days ago

you know, i don't really have an answer for what he...HEY, look at this big dreadlock i cut off! Jump da f*ck up!!

Rattama hattama hattama hattama HELLO

anonymous 356 days ago

Jesus christ the ego on this dweeb

anonymous 355 days ago

"We're not supposed to do that to each other" What's that, firing him or him being upset he got fired? Either way, you pulled the trigger first.

anonymous 355 days ago

This story isn't shining enough light on Covid. Even though my fat wife was vaccinated, she still caught Covid. Experts say she should be fine. But I'm still asking for your prayers.

anonymous 355 days ago

One thing is for sure... Max doesn't seem to know much.

anonymous 355 days ago

The 4th comment on this post should have literally been the TL:DR hahaha - Headline: 'Max Cavalera does some selfish shit; again.'

anonymous 355 days ago

Rex killed Dimebag. Vinnie killed himself...because he hated Rex.

anonymous 355 days ago

"I dont know man. I just dont know, I dont know man. f*ck his mental health we put him on the map son."

Max and Iggor are cool

anonymous 355 days ago

Dino just chokes on Maxs dread better than Marc. Know when to move on.

anonymous 355 days ago

So max being the oh so "tolerant one" ripping on a former band member for his mental health and fires him for calling your bullshit out and Max plays dumb to it? Sooo progressive!!! Max. You got called out for a reason. You did f*ck all during the pandemic and you are deflecting blame just to save your own ass. Max, take the L. You failed to look after your band members and crew during the pandemic, the onus is on you max.

anonymous 355 days ago

Max and Igor modern day taliban. Horde the drug wealth, control everyone around you. Taliban asshole

anonymous 355 days ago

This sounds like one whiny dude, complaining that he had to work like the rest of us - and a dude who apparently thinks he's just Soulfly, who utilizes hindsight heavily in his favor. Saying 'I don't think he even liked the same music as me anymore' is so completely irrelevant. He's acting like they're in high school, starting up their first band. Who cares if he didn't hang out all the time? Who cares if he's musical tastes matured and the dude appreciated older music? Who cares if he lived his own life outside of the band while on tour? I can guarantee you that most bands that have been together for a long time - rarely see each other after shows. People grow up and their lives and interests change. It sounds like rather than throwing the dude a line when he needed support, this singer just said 'meh, I'm soulfly, and I deem this to be too much work - not enough chill'. Seriously. Grow up. No Care Ever.

anonymous 355 days ago

I was working (merch guy and roadie) for a band that supported Soulfly on their first UK tour and Max was a massive tit even back then. Most bands that we would tour with or meet were super cool and would hang out (Biohazard, Kid Rock, Raging Speedhorn, even the rest of the Soulfly guys) but Max was a big rockstar tool. None of the local support bands could meet him and they kicked everyone out at sound check. I was massive Sepultura fan and it broke my heart when Max left, but after the Soulfly experience I could see the truth in what Andreas and the rest of the Sep guys said about the breakup and I was actually pretty pissed that it seemed to be Max that caused the split. Never listened to anything he did after that first Soulfly album...although I did go to see them when they did the Beneath the Remains/ Arise play through tour a few years ago. Not as good as it was 25 years ago but nostalgic all the same!

anonymous 355 days ago

Both sides a bunch of pussies bitching like women, would have expected more from these guys but oh well

Amber 355 days ago

Max is clearly a snake

anonymous 355 days ago

Marc Rizzo should sue Max Cavalera for libel. Max says he Marc had "a mental breakdown" with no proof. Saying someone had a mental breakdown could jeopardize that person's futire job prospects or to put it bluntly what band is gonna hire Marc or who's gonna form a band with Marc if they believe Max that Marc had a mental breakdown? All Marc has to do is show proof that he had no mental breakdown and/or demand that Max show proof. 'Pretty sure Max has zero proof thus is talking out of his ass. So Marc please sue Max for libel.

anonymous 355 days ago

he should sue max's mom for birthing such a dweeb

anonymous 355 days ago

Max could be just completely in the dark or in some sort of twilight level of understanding about any actual compensation for the other Soulfly members during the pandemic. Odds are that Gloria handles all that and his duties are to throw on another layer of burlap and belch out some binary riffs to appease the C/D market bumpkins that still pay to see Soulfly.

anonymous 355 days ago

^ BS If Gloria (I assume Soulfly's manager) has been handling all the band business I doubt she would've allowed Max to release a libelous statement accusing Marc of having a mental breakdown when Marc did not. But keep defending Max.

anonymous 355 days ago

Maybe Marc is actually having mental health issues. Who knows? Regardless, Max's dodging of any sort of explanation addressing Marc or any in the Soulfly camp's (that aren't in the Cavalera family) compensation during the pandemic is more the issue.

anonymous 354 days ago

No way. Shitty nu-metal musicians from the 00's now jacked up on meth and losing grip of reality and talking shit about one another? Completely unheard of.

anonymous 354 days ago

Max is just being dishonest like every liberal who ever lived.

anonymous 353 days ago

Imagine being so full of yourself and thinking anybody cares enough to actually release a statement.

anonymous 333 days ago