NewsMay 22, 2019 11:05 AM ET6,630 views

Atreyu vocalist Alex Varkatzas to miss tour for health reasons

Atreyu frontman Alex Varkatzas will miss the band's summer tour in Europe and the UK due to significant, ongoing issues with his back. Varkatzas has put forth the following explanation:
"There is no easy way to say this, but I am very sorry that I will not be able to join Atreyu on this upcoming European tour. At this point my body and mind need to heal in order for me to continue with all the things we have planned this year. I feel that I owe you all an explanation. It will be lengthy... "Just about 2 weeks before the Spring Invasion tour I severely aggravated a damaged disc in my back at L5-Sl, giving horrible muscle spasms and limiting my ability to walk, go to the bathroom, basically fucks everything. I was briefly hospitalized last year for this same thing and unable to walk for several days, followed by a week on a walker. For someone like me, this is HELL. I hate asking for help, I despise my own weakness and I loathe missing my daily physical training. It makes me feel incomplete. For however silly that is, that's how I feel, I cannot hide it. After this last injury before the Spring Invasion tour, my back never stopped aching. I would get random spasms and ache badly all day. I was unable to do anything physical. At this point I started to suffer some pains in the lower abdominal/manly region. I went to my doctor and started tests that led to referrals. An MRI showed a bulging disc at L5-S1 that was a little worse than last year and revealed a surprise inguinal hernia. I was able to start physical therapy for my back right away but was unable to start on hernia. I was given an Oral steroid the day before I left for tour and started to barely feel ok after a few days (all the while babying my back). I was advised to take it easy or I would create further issues. "Atreyu has always been an emotional outlet for me. I want the shows to be intense and fun. Even holding myself back because of pain and injury, I still went too hard. In my opinion I was barely performing, some nights my muscle relaxers would slow me down. After the third week I was aching badly again. If you look carefully at videos and photos of last two shows I am wearing a special back brace during our set. After flying home I've been in constant agony. I still can't hold my little kids, I can't hug my wife, I can't do much of anything. Luckily I can still walk. I would be lying to you if I said it wasn't taking its toll on me mentally as well. I have no outlet. I'm a capable independent person and this has wore on me in many ways. "It was very hard to accept and for me to tell the guys in the band that my doctors advised me to not make the trip and take care of my body. "My brothers in Atreyu will rock on without me on this run. It will be a very special, one of a kind experience with Brandon up front and Porter screaming! I have an upcoming epidural, therapy and a follow up appointment to discuss the impending possibility of hernia surgery, all before Disrupt Festival. "Thank you to my brothers in the band and the Atreyu management team for trying to help me feel at ease about this. I do not. I'm sorry I have failed to live up to our obligations. I'm sorry to our booking agent and management for jeopardizing all this. And a HUGE, I'm sorry to: Slam Dunk Fest, FortaRock, Rock Im Park, Rock Am Ring and the rest of the European show promoters. "We have been around a while and never had this happen. I'm terribly sorry and thank you for the faith in our band. And finally to anyone who was looking forward to see me perform with the band on this run. I know you are disappointed and all I can do is offer my sincerest apologies and fully explain the situation. Something I normally wouldn't like to do. So there it is. I wish my brothers in Atreyu a safe and fun tour. See you all on Disrupt!"

anonymous 5/22/2019 8:25:29 AM

they get a pass for inventing metalcore

anonymous 5/22/2019 8:48:39 AM

gotta back out cuz he threw his back out? what a feg.

anonymous 5/22/2019 8:52:43 AM

"You know what fixes an injured back? Stage dives." - Scott Vogel.

anonymous 5/22/2019 8:56:31 AM

^ ::dials 9-1:: Why were you hanging out with a five year old? ::hovers finger over 1::

anonymous 5/22/2019 9:10:53 AM

^::presses 1:: "We have found the person responsible for Atreyu! Send the police!"

anonymous 5/22/2019 9:44:04 AM

anonymous 5/22/2019 9:54:44 AM

Those are quotes, not parentheses.

anonymous 5/22/2019 10:07:31 AM

Atreyu vocalist has sciatica and/or bad period. Must miss shows. No one cares.

anonymous 5/22/2019 10:10:23 AM

Heard the Rose City Skinheads beat him down

anonymous 5/22/2019 10:43:24 AM

Affliction Clothing is not pleased with this news and will be releasing 40 new designs this summer.

anonymous 5/22/2019 10:56:11 AM

i know not a lot of people like Atreyu, but isn't Alex basically the band?

anonymous 5/22/2019 11:32:28 AM

Try lifting sheetrock all day.

anonymous 5/22/2019 11:35:20 AM

Oh no, KMart Jake Luhrs can't make it.

anonymous 5/22/2019 11:58:58 AM

metalcore in parenthesis like its not the most important and revenue generating genre in heavy music. get back in your basement loser metal dude Right, Kerry King and Dave Mustaine are reeling from all the metalcore money they missed out on

anonymous 5/22/2019 1:24:01 PM

maybe he is becoming the bull.......

anonymous 5/22/2019 1:24:17 PM

For sure did it while farting

anonymous 5/22/2019 1:27:25 PM

Typical meat eater p*ssy. He should join that other meat eating weaking from High On Fire who almost lost his foot from eating too many Hot Pockets.

anonymous 5/22/2019 2:13:38 PM

pffft, try touring with a problem with your L6-T9 then come back and cry to mama

anonymous 5/22/2019 4:36:38 PM

phil anselmo should fill in

anonymous 5/22/2019 6:22:01 PM

is he more of a screamer or singer these days? i've lost track haven't listened to anything by them since probably 03 or 04 although they were great back in the day...

anonymous 5/22/2019 7:28:57 PM

^ confirmed retard

anonymous 5/22/2019 10:24:28 PM

^ quite possibly, since it is cool to hate on atreyu in these parts. what kind of hipster garbage are you into?

anonymous 5/22/2019 10:40:51 PM

DMS extorted this sucka.

pongo_pigmayis 5/23/2019 10:07:04 AM

Couldve just said "I have health issues, hope to be cleared up, cant play, thanks" rather than this shit

anonymous 5/27/2019 12:05:38 AM

DMS extorted this sucka.>> DMS hasn't extorted shit. They can't even beat up Harley after he took a knife from one of them and buried it up that DMS member's ass and another DMS member's ass almost SEVEN fckING YEARS AGO. fck DMS.