NewsFebruary 8, 2019 10:05 AM ET13,171 views

As I Lay Dying vocalist Tim Lambesis addresses show cancelation

Earlier this week, the venue hosting an upcoming As I Lay Dying show in Memphis, TN canceled the gig due to public outcry over the past transgressions of vocalist Tim Lambesis. The singer has now responded via two Instagram posts in which he stresses that while he can't undo "the biggest mistake" of his life, he's focused on turning his life around by helping others, including prison inmates and those struggling with addiction and/or mental health issues. Lambesis had the following to say:
"While I'm disappointed by the cancellation of our show in Memphis, I understand and accept the resentment some people have towards who I used to be. I stand against that person I became during the darkest period of my past, and it is part of my life's work to prevent others from going down destructive paths. It's now been almost six (6) years since I made the biggest mistake of my life, and I consider each day an opportunity to do something positive to turn my life around and to use my experience to help others. "As I move forward with this purpose I know there will be obstacles. However, I wish we could have come up with a more meaningful solution for the fans in Memphis rather than just cancel. Perhaps I could visit a recovery center in Memphis, a free event to our fans and those being served at the center, where I can open up for Q&A and all questions are welcome. I look forward to continuing this conversation around recovery, how to prevent others from ending up in a bad place, and how to facilitate healing in the lives of people who have been hurt by others. I welcome the opportunity to address the topic of domestic violence and how I am not on the opposing side of this critical issue. "Since serving my time I've been involved in the following: • Completed all of the courses necessary to become an addiction treatment counselor in the state of California with hopes of helping others who are struggling with addiction and mental health. • Worked for a year as a case manager at an addiction treatment facility. • Spent two years tutoring inmates who never finished high school. Education is the greatest tool we currently have for breaking the criminal cycle of repeat offenders. • I currently visit prisons quarterly to help inmates without job skills train for their release so that they can become productive neighbors and not a burden on society. Most end up back in prison due to lack of hope or a support system. "Through AILD, our recent tours have allowed us the opportunity to donate proceeds of sales to organizations that help others—notably Heart Support and families affected by the California fires. "Thanks to our fans connecting with this message, we were able to become one of Heart Support's main contributors. We strongly believe in their objective to offer emotional support and counseling to young adults caught in cycles of depression, abuse, and addiction, and will continually support charities that further the process of healing for others. "By listing all of the above, it's not my intention to gain praise or recognition. I simply want to make sure it's clear how seriously I take all of these issues. "Throughout my four year incarceration and release, I've sought meaningful personal change and surrounded myself with family, friends, and counsel. I'm grateful to have earned the support of my bandmates, my wife, family, and fans who've also given me this chance. I will continue to move forward in my personal mission to help others and make a positive impact in the world around me, knowing there will be challenges, and believing that the next half of my life will be more meaningful than the first. "I look forward to continuing a discussion around recovery, mental health, domestic violence and prisoner reform for many years to come."

anonymous 2/8/2019 7:21:08 AM

Where is the donations to kids who have lost parents due to circumstances in which you were jailed for. Not one mention about your son or attempts to fix that. Just blanketing the real issue with pics from you at jail events...promo pics. Most of what you do is required by your parole agreement. Stop playing it off like you are doing this by choice.

anonymous 2/8/2019 7:21:26 AM

fck this taco and anyone who supports him.

anonymous 2/8/2019 7:30:51 AM

Tim is a modern day hero. at every turn he is giving back to the community via time, service, discussion and creative output. he shouldn't have to keep apologizing. he did his time paid the dues. virtue signaling betas are the only ones acting offended.

anonymous 2/8/2019 7:35:08 AM

What a great guy I mean, idiot fcking felon

anonymous 2/8/2019 7:40:51 AM

Hey Tim, you don't get to choose the consequences you dumb fck

anonymous 2/8/2019 7:41:19 AM

You hired someone to KILL your wife dude. Whats that got to do with addiction or depression? If you tried to kill yourself I get it?

anonymous 2/8/2019 7:46:29 AM

What if she really deserved what was coming to her?

fourthgradecocktease 2/8/2019 7:49:17 AM

His Memphis Q&A idea is so awesomely out of touch People want to watch you beat your chest and play songs from 2004, wake the fck up tim

anonymous 2/8/2019 7:56:19 AM

"Hey Tim, you don't get to choose the consequences you dumb fck" This.

anonymous 2/8/2019 7:56:54 AM

"What if she really deserved what was coming to her?" Then we should all hate him for not following through and ridding the world of a piece of shit who deserves to die.

anonymous 2/8/2019 8:07:52 AM

More cancelled shows on the way. I work at metal blade. This is why we dropped them

anonymous 2/8/2019 8:23:20 AM

Hey everyone I work at MBD. Name is Nick Smithingson. To clarify on why they were dropped..we tried to buy them onto the 2019 fest scheduled (instead of bigger venues) and when fests declined we knew we could never make money off of them again.

anonymous 2/8/2019 8:23:44 AM

Keep your chin up Tim, and know that you can never please those who are still bitter and hateful towards you. It's their problem, not yours. People need to realize that we have a criminal justice system in this country which functions on do the crime, do the time - once you are out, you paid your debt to society. If the wife has an issue with it, however right she may be, sue in court, but the criminal phase is over. Don't agree, fck OFF and MOVE TO NEW COUNTRY.

anonymous 2/8/2019 8:34:55 AM

Dear Timothy You've made me nauseous for the last time Everything I've said to you I will form into a spike (To drive through my throat) In order to stop my words This time I'll put them in the ground Along with my memories and my feelings I'll burn it down and walk away Let the fire warm my back I wish you would say you hate me It would make it so much easier Burn it down and walk away Love, Daniel

anonymous 2/8/2019 9:25:56 AM

People who defend Tim wear white outfits to the state of the union...

anonymous 2/8/2019 9:30:29 AM

anonymous 2/8/2019 9:38:46 AM

^ Shut up, you fcking racist.

anonymous 2/8/2019 10:06:05 AM

^ White guy who knows the truth hurts. - White guy who posted what you replied to.

anonymous 2/8/2019 10:14:04 AM

"How did this jerk not do minimum 15 years to life for attempted murder? Oh wait, I know, he's white, male, bearded, probably a Republican, semi-famous, and semi-wealthy (or at least enough that he hasn't had to work a Mon-Fri. 9-5 job for a boss while doing ALID for most of the band's existence.) White male privilege at its worst. If he was black/non-white he'd still be in prison today as I type.' He didn't get charged with attempted murder idiot. It was Solicitation of murder.

anonymous 2/8/2019 10:17:05 AM

did robert flynn write this novel?

anonymous 2/8/2019 10:21:41 AM

^^ A white person who is racist against whites and makes every little thing about race. You are the worst kind of racist.

anonymous 2/8/2019 10:25:13 AM

Anyone with a strong opinion either way should off themselves.

anonymous 2/8/2019 10:26:07 AM

he is in a band. that is a job that pays. just because you don't have the creative capacity/talent to do what he does means it isn't legit? virtue signaling beta cuck plebian

anonymous 2/8/2019 10:29:11 AM

he does not deserve to be lauded by the public following a conviction of solicitation of murder. fck em'.

anonymous 2/8/2019 10:29:57 AM

If Tim was successful at doing what he sought out to do his then wife would be dead No care for this piece of shit ever

anonymous 2/8/2019 10:30:46 AM

He's wearing a wedding ring.........

anonymous 2/8/2019 10:32:52 AM

New Sheetrock LP now out on splatter vinyl

anonymous 2/8/2019 10:36:49 AM

American Burzum

anonymous 2/8/2019 10:54:07 AM

He didn't get charged with attempted murder idiot. It was Solicitation of murder.>. He should've got (and still should do) at least 15 years to life for hiring someone to kill his wife, idiot. You know what I was getting at. The guy should be in prison as I type not touring around the country free (the point you missed, idiot and btw S.O.M. should be considered attempted murder too since you attempted to murder by hiring someone to kill someone else and the murder almost being done.)

anonymous 2/8/2019 10:59:50 AM

"He's wearing a wedding ring........." He is married to Jesus.

anonymous 2/8/2019 11:04:37 AM

Who cares about his ex wife still, she clearly did something wrong to have someone as cool as Tim want to kill her.

AnalButt 2/8/2019 12:53:13 PM

Lol @ anyone who has ever listened to this band

vagisilcreem 2/8/2019 1:02:39 PM

Hey, remember that time this dude hired someone to murder his wife?

anonymous 2/8/2019 2:20:09 PM

apparently only this venue in memphis and some festival in germany are the only people to remember. how does this idiot have a career??? people have had careers killed for less

anonymous 2/8/2019 2:36:41 PM

"He's wearing a wedding ring........." He is married to Jesus. LOL!!!!!

anonymous 2/8/2019 4:02:06 PM

people who wear promise rings for a girl they obsess over IRL but have never met in person are not stoked

anonymous 2/8/2019 4:37:05 PM