NewsAugust 28, 2018 10:30 AM ET11,664 views

Couple arrested for leaving daughter home alone to see Godflesh

parents arrested for leaving child alone to see Godflesh
photo via Harris County Precinct 4 Constable's Office
A Texas couple has been arrested for allegedly leaving their 11-year-old daughter home alone while they traveled hundreds of miles to see influential English industrial metal act Godflesh perform. The news comes via the Harris County Precinct 4 Constable's Office and the Houston Chronicle. According to court documents, the girl's parents, John Guerrero, 48, and Virginia Yearnd, 39, left their home on Wednesday, August 22 to attend a Godflesh concert that night in Detroit, MI. The pair was arrested in Houston on Monday night. Authorities were alerted to the situation by the girl's great aunt, who had called the child and was informed that she has been home alone since the previous morning. After attempting to contact her parents, deputies visited the home and found the girl "trying to cook." The couple claims that Yearnd's sister had been tasked with checking on the girl, but failed to do so. The parents were arrested on charges of second-degree felony child endangerment and subsequently booked in the Harris County Jail with no bond. They face up to 20 years in prison if convicted.

anonymous 8/28/2018 7:35:35 AM

The kid is fcking 11 - she isn't a toddler. Time to nut-up, buttercup. Goddamn kids these days with no responsibilities can't even take care of them selves at middle school age? I think most of us are old enough on this board to say when we were that age, we knew how to cook and could be left home alone without a helicopter parent hovering overhead.

anonymous 8/28/2018 7:36:01 AM

Absolute snowflake bullshit. I have been cooking frozen pizzas and microwaving burritos for my younger brother and I home alone together since I was like 9 years old while Dad was out at the horse races

anonymous 8/28/2018 7:36:02 AM

I mean...at least teach her how to cook before you leave.

anonymous 8/28/2018 7:37:10 AM

Should be the sister in trouble if she agreed to watch after the kid and failed to do so. And if the "great aunt" is so concerned, why didn't she offer to babysit?

anonymous 8/28/2018 7:37:15 AM

That's so irresponsible!! That kid could've messed up so many things in the house being left unsupervised like that. They should've at least left her in a dog crate. I would be a terrible parent. Good thing I'm still a virgin. Like all the other people who post here.

anonymous 8/28/2018 7:58:19 AM

"Trying to cook". Was she making a Sunday roast? Seriously, at 11 a child is more than capable of holding down the fort for a day or two, shit I stayed home alone at that age and turned out fine.

anonymous 8/28/2018 8:01:57 AM

anonymous 8/28/2018 8:06:23 AM

Who the fck cares about this shit? Why is this news?

anonymous 8/28/2018 8:09:18 AM

"In Texas, a parent - or anyone else who has custody or cares over a child under 15 - can be charged with child endangerment if he or she "intentionally abandons the child in any place under circumstances that expose the child to an unreasonable risk of harm," according to the Texas Penal Code." We don't care how things are in other countries. fck Texas. #MAGA.

anonymous 8/28/2018 8:25:25 AM

fck everyone involved in this, from the pigs to the lambgoat commenters

anonymous 8/28/2018 8:33:32 AM

That's a hell of a long way to travel to see Godlfesh... and they also played in Chicago which was 5 hours closer. Sooooo, uhm lol.

anonymous 8/28/2018 8:36:52 AM

Let's set-up a Gofundme for their legal defense! Clearly it's Trumps fault. WHO'S WITH ME?!?!

anonymous 8/28/2018 8:50:27 AM

Godflesh isn't even good and is not worth risking 20 years in prison for

anonymous 8/28/2018 8:57:44 AM

i bet there are going to be a ton of people travelling from Billings and doing the same thing to catch the metalcore majesty that is AILD

anonymous 8/28/2018 8:58:35 AM

You fcking idiots obviously aren't, and shouldn't, be parents. 11 is way too young to be left alone. But not too old to bring to a concert!

anonymous 8/28/2018 9:01:07 AM

At 11 I could cook atleast the very basics...

anonymous 8/28/2018 9:13:25 AM

Although the parents are fcking morons, that snitchin' aunt ruined everything. Could've ordered a damn pizza for the girl instead of calling the cops lmao

anonymous 8/28/2018 9:21:44 AM

BUT HOLD ON, hundreds of miles?? Detroit is 1300 miles from Houston one way.

anonymous 8/28/2018 9:30:30 AM

^ If only we had magical machines that could fly us long distances in a short amount of time....

anonymous 8/28/2018 10:11:34 AM

welcome to the real world little girl, mommy and daddy ain't gonna support you your whole life

anonymous 8/28/2018 10:21:00 AM

my dad was 11 when he had me.

anonymous 8/28/2018 10:21:15 AM

I know an 11 year old drug lord

anonymous 8/28/2018 10:21:32 AM

Tim Lambesis killed and 11 yr old

anonymous 8/28/2018 10:39:35 AM

11 year olds like Godflesh too

anonymous 8/28/2018 11:13:30 AM

Good thing the aunt called the police, now the girl will be without parents for 20 years instead of a day or two. What a way to handle inter-family affairs.

XSHAT_CREWX 8/28/2018 12:25:54 PM

lol, up to 20 years.

anonymous 8/28/2018 12:29:49 PM

anonymous 8/28/2018 12:44:00 PM

America is the only country where the kids are stupid enough to need babysitters

anonymous 8/28/2018 12:54:09 PM

"Flying machines or not, I could bet there is not a single person reading this that would consider 2600 miles in the "hundreds" category..." Yeah, not one person would think that of TWENTY-SIX HUNDRED miles. Hundreds is technically correct. They could have said "dozens" or "tens" and still have been correct as well.

willy_wanker 8/28/2018 3:41:44 PM

couldnt say thousands of miles, because it was less than 2 anyway, didnt they own a nuker? a few hot pockets and some mac n cheese and the kids fine. theyre not going to take the kid from the parents and theyre not going to lock them up for decades either

willy_wanker 8/28/2018 4:06:22 PM

somehow i read the milage wrong. im intoxicated right now

anonymous 8/28/2018 4:37:28 PM

Godflesh isn't even good and is not worth risking 20 years in prison for ^^^^^^^ So says the virgin who never saw Godflesh live.

anonymous 8/28/2018 4:37:52 PM

why is this front-page news?

anonymous 8/28/2018 5:36:50 PM

That dude was in the band Death Kultur BBQ https://m.youtube.com/watc h?v=w8wklnr0vAo

genghisjohn 8/28/2018 6:29:20 PM

But are Godflesh ok?

anonymous 8/28/2018 8:54:12 PM

It's Godflesh. I mean, I get it.

anonymous 8/28/2018 9:59:01 PM

Are you fcking serious? That is fcked up to do. While yes at times when I spend time with my daughter of course shows happen on those same days, but I have nor will ever leave my child like that. At least call a fcking babysitter or better yet don't these jerks have parents themselves? FFS

anonymous 8/28/2018 10:01:09 PM

Godflesh made a statement about it and they were also surprised that more than 1 person traveled that far to see them play. Also I work at MB, name is chris. the new AILD album is poised to sell about 200k in the first week. Rumor also has it Tim Lambgoatitbsis sold the rights to the last 10 years of his life for movie production. It's going to be a 3 part trilogy with potential spin offs through the wifes perspective. I work at mb I know, trust me.

anonymous 8/28/2018 11:56:25 PM

no one is reading that try hard unfunny loser

anonymous 8/28/2018 11:58:48 PM

Mark kozeleck is writing a song about this as we speak

Sandpaperseatbelts 8/29/2018 7:17:43 AM

"influential English industrial metal" We're done here.

anonymous 8/29/2018 9:06:43 AM

I am 11 years old and I came here to say, I don't like Godflesh.

anonymous 8/29/2018 10:08:01 AM

Some quality comments on this thread. Got a good chuckle a few times. Also, the girl should be more than capable of sustaining for several days.

anonymous 8/29/2018 11:30:27 AM

Absolutely ABSURD! The child is 11. I stayed home alone at 11 while waiting for my parents to come homw for work. People use to babysit starting at 11. We are SOOOOO lame and weak now!

anonymous 8/29/2018 1:25:37 PM

Donald Trump JR has a very very very very punchable face.

Jemenez_Cricket 8/29/2018 4:47:22 PM

Lol I saw them there, bitch kept going to get drinks all the way through the set too. Retards

anonymous 8/29/2018 5:29:15 PM

I'm eleven years old and i came.

anonymous 8/29/2018 5:49:39 PM

If these people were true metal fans they would have just had an abortion while listening to Godflesh #deathtofakemetalfans

anonymous 8/29/2018 9:43:47 PM

moral of the story: abort children

anonymous 9/6/2018 12:39:45 PM

I blame Trump for not making America great again.

Tags: Godflesh