ex-Deicide, Obituary guitarist Ralph Santolla dies

Wednesday, June 6, 2018 8:51 AM PT / 7,174 views

Guitarist Ralph Santolla, a former member of Deicide and Obituary, among others, has passed away after being taken off life support. Santolla had been hospitalized since suffering a heart attack late last month. He was 48. Santolla's mother shared the news on Facebook earlier today:
"Good morning. Just so we all start to heal, Ralph Santolla is not laying on that bed at St Joseph Hospital. He has gone, and he is happy and at peace in heaven. I want to start your day with a little humor. My wonderful mother and Ralph grandmother passed away three years ago. One of my friends was trying to console me, Fred Parker, and had the comment that Ralph would be playing music for his Nannie..it just made me laugh to visualize Ralph playing heavy metal for his Nannie. OMG….it would be so funny… His Nannie was an amazingly strong woman and she would tell him, cut it down, and play something decent. I love my son more than anyone can imagine, my heart is broken..but I know he loved me unconditionally and will always be with me. It is the same with all of us, he will be with you everyone, everyday and his love will surround us now and forever.i wanted to tell everyone that I have thousands of messages…I just can't deal with it right now but I love each of you."
UPDATE #1: Apparently the post from Santolla's mother was slightly misleading. According to guitarist and friend Bill Hudson II, they have not yet taken him off life support:
"As of 11:30 AM (EST) on Wednesday, June 6th, Ralph. I am sitting 6 feet away from him! His mother's post was NOT to be taken literally. They will withdraw medical care, but they haven't done it yet."
UPDATE #2: Hudson has since confirmed that Santolla passed away Wednesday night (June 6):
"NOW It is official: I (and many other people) just lost my best friend, as well as one of the most underrated guitarists in all history. He passed away peacefully with about 10 of his closest friends and family around him (myself included). Please keep his mother Sue Santolla-Rocha, his son Dorian Angelo Santolla and all the rest of us in your thoughts... Rest in peace, my brother, Ralph Santolla... You will be missed by A LOT of people... I love you, bro."

anonymous 6/6/2018 9:03:23 AM

damn that sucks. rip. hope he's in a better place than here.

anonymous 6/6/2018 9:04:30 AM

Not so sure about that Heaven part, but as for the rest of it...adios muchaco. 666 forever.

anonymous 6/6/2018 9:43:09 AM

Get well soon!

anonymous 6/6/2018 10:05:03 AM

Anyone think it's amusing someone from Deicide is resting up in heaven?

anonymous 6/6/2018 10:07:59 AM

Don't be retarded, he was a practising Roman Catholic but he and Glen respected each other enough to look the other way

anonymous 6/6/2018 10:45:19 AM

No obituary jokes?

anonymous 6/6/2018 12:39:59 PM

his obituary will read, "his family deicided to take time off life support."

anonymous 6/6/2018 1:08:10 PM

^ Winner. No one else say a goddamn word.

anonymous 6/6/2018 5:27:35 PM

Should we pray??? Asking for a friend.

anonymous 6/6/2018 9:55:47 PM

"his family deicided to take time off life support." ^^ You totally dcked up your own joke ya dummy boooo you suck

anonymous 6/6/2018 10:18:53 PM

Should have been Tim Lambesis

anonymous 6/6/2018 11:06:08 PM

So his mother is a moron, cool.

anonymous 6/7/2018 5:50:50 AM

How many times was this guy reported dead, only to be corrected as not dead yet?

anonymous 6/7/2018 6:32:22 AM

UPDATE #3: Hudson really only meant that Ralph is dead to him. He can't believe Ralph would leave him behind, alone on this earth, without the friendship they share. I am sitting here next to Ralph. While he may be gone soon, he is still alive. We are giving him one more day to try and pull through.

anonymous 6/7/2018 12:07:13 PM

anonymous13 hours ago So his mother is a moron, cool. yeah. wow his mum is a dumb fckin idiot

anonymous 6/7/2018 1:57:38 PM

bill hudson here, false alarm AGAIN, ralph is actually alive and well! he woke up in the middle of getting his nuts gobbled. by me.