NewsSeptember 14, 2016 3:09 PM ET6,524 views

Bolt Thrower issue update, might have broken up

A year after the passing of Bolt Thrower drummer Martin Kearns, the British death metal veterans have issued an update, which you can read below. You'll note this line -- "the Bolt Thrower drummer position was buried with him" -- which implies that the group has disbanded for good.
On behalf of ourselves and Kiddie's family, we would like to thank everyone for their thoughts and support over the last 12 months. Together with Kiddie's family we made the conscious decision to keep his unexpected death a private matter, and to take time out to deal with it all. When Kiddie joined us back in 1994, although he was only 17, he instantly improved Bolt Thrower as a live band, and no one was more loyal to, and prouder to be in Bolt Thrower than him. We spent over 20 years together, touring the world, with 3 different vocalists, but he was so much more than just a drummer to us. So when we carried his coffin to his final resting place, the Bolt Thrower drummer position was buried with him. He was, and will now forever remain THE Bolt Thrower drummer, our Powerhouse and friend Martin "Kiddie" Kearns. As for the rest of us, Bolt Thrower has been our way of life for 30 years, never driven by money, fame or ego, but by our own personal principles and values that have guided us through life, and which bonded us as friends long before Bolt Thrower was even formed... "We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson – 1833

anonymous 9/14/2016 12:18:40 PM

Time to throw in the bolts

anonymous 9/14/2016 12:21:56 PM

never driven by money, fame or ego probably why I haven't heard of them

anonymous 9/14/2016 12:30:03 PM

anonymous 9/14/2016 1:22:16 PM

too many of Jones' buzz saw projects are following suit with the NAILS hiatus/breakup.. dark times

anonymous 9/14/2016 1:23:14 PM

hardcore kids who pretend to like this band and spend $100 on their shirts are not stoked.

anonymous 9/14/2016 1:36:55 PM

R.I.P. Throat Blower

anonymous 9/14/2016 3:00:27 PM

They were never that good anyway. Total NAILS ripoff

anonymous 9/14/2016 3:24:28 PM

kids who ditched warped tour for chaos in tejas to follow everyone else then pretended they knew who the band was before like 3 years ago are stoked. ^^^^^^ It takes one to know one, you try-hard.

anonymous 9/14/2016 4:33:23 PM

probably why I haven't heard of them How's that new Emmure album, gay??

anonymous 9/14/2016 5:13:43 PM

Don't believe I've ever met anyone who listens to heavy music that hasn't heard of Bolt Thrower. Have you ever heard of Slayer or Napalm Death? Probably not....dummy.

anonymous 9/14/2016 5:59:03 PM

God forbid you do any journalistic work instead of just assuming and throwing up an article about it. Maybe try reaching out to the band for confirmation?

anonymous 9/14/2016 6:30:13 PM

I love lambgoat trolls.

anonymous 9/14/2016 8:05:02 PM

R.I.P. Throat Blower I laughed, then I cried, then I shit my pants

anonymous 9/14/2016 10:51:31 PM

anonymous 9/15/2016 7:12:59 AM

*screw all of you idiots posting garbage in this notification about that garbage ass band called "NAILS"<--- they fcking lift the kilts of your forefathers and blow sweaty, hairy sausages...*

anonymous 9/15/2016 8:47:06 AM

Band rules, you all are probably CYC

anonymous 9/15/2016 10:28:48 AM

"Might have broken up" Really? Might? Because I guess stating they buried the LAST bolt thrower drummer wasn't obvious enough.

anonymous 9/15/2016 11:55:51 AM

everyone above this post is an idiot

anonymous 9/15/2016 12:44:49 PM

I just found out my Dad is gay

anonymous 9/15/2016 6:49:49 PM

anonymous19 hours ago I don't want it to be but it does look that way that Bolt Thrower is disbanding. Bolt Thrower will always be one of favorite bands. I'm just glad I was able to see them twice live. Brutal both times. Dont lie dickhead.

thetowerofrome 9/18/2016 11:07:10 PM