Nick Menza says deal to rejoin Megadeth "unfair"

Tue, April 7, 2015 7:05 AM PT5,174 views

Former Megadeth drummer Nick Menza has issued a statement explaining why he did not ultimately rejoin Megadeth this past winter as had been expected.
"To my fans, I hate disappointing all of you who have been asking and hopeful that Marty Friedman and I would rejoin [Megadeth's] Dave Mustaine and David Ellefson to resurge the classic 'Rust In Peace' lineup. "I was totally ready and excited to get back in Megadeth. I went to Dave's house/studio in San Diego this past December and we jammed for the weekend and it was totally cool. We instantly fell right back into our musical groove together. "We have great chemistry. It's a magical thing! And, yes, that's me, the 'mystery' drummer whose face is hidden in the YouTube videos Justis Mustaine [Dave's son] posted as seen below. "A few weeks after this, we all got together with our old manager Ron Laffitte for a dinner meeting at the Anaheim White House restaurant during NAMM. It was great seeing Ron and Marty. We all talked about the plans for a new record and touring and I made it known I was into rejoining and making this my priority. I was pumped, and even went as far as recording drums on five new Megadeth songs Dave had sent me. "As soon as I got home and it was time to sit down and negotiate my terms in writing, I was offered a very unfair deal that was so wrong. They didn't feel I was worth anything to the band. Dave blocked my emails, changed his number and then, apparently, Ron Laffitte was fired as the band's manager. Here is one of my favorite bands and a huge part of my life achievements and I was shut out for wanting a fair deal. "I am really blown away how this band conducts business. "A band is about a group of people who have respect for one another, sense of loyalty, camaraderie, and, most of all, honor and trust! "I'm not a puppet. I have integrity, loyalty, and honor. That's who I am! "There's much more to this story, and I could now add the final chapter to my book 'Nick Menza Megalife: Countdown To Resurrection', by J. Marshall Craig. "Despite this dark final chapter, I wish Megadeth the heartiest of health, happiness and success with their future plans. As for me, I am moving on with a new band of other fellow former 'Deth members [James LoMenzo and Chris Poland], as well as a few surprise players, and producer."

anonymous 4/7/2015 7:09:00 AM

I'm not a puppet. I have integrity, loyalty, and honor. That's who I am!I'm not a puppet. I have integrity, loyalty, and honor. That's who I am!I'm not a puppet. I have integrity, loyalty, and honor. That's who I am!I'm not a puppet. I have integrity, loyalty, and honor. That's who I am!I'm not a puppet. I have integrity, loyalty, and honor. That's who I am!

anonymous 4/7/2015 7:20:29 AM

So Megadeth joins Black Sabbath and Slayer as bands who don't give a shit about their drummers. Gotcha. Personally, if I was a drummer and the founding member of a famous band only to be considered expendable after 20 years, I'd probably just shoot them all in the face and laugh myself to death in prison.

anonymous 4/7/2015 7:58:05 AM

Dave is still upset about being ousted from Metallica, so he is going to take it out on various expendable members of "mega-dump"

anonymous 4/7/2015 8:01:43 AM

Just shows what a douche Dave is. I've read nothing but bad about him.

anonymous 4/7/2015 8:03:55 AM

So Megadeth joins Black Sabbath and Slayer as bands who don't give a shit about their drummers. Gotcha. Totally different situations. With Slayer and Sabbath, those drummers quit or opted to not participate because they felt like they weren't being treated "fairly" in their opinions. With Megadeth, who cares??

anonymous 4/7/2015 8:14:10 AM

Personally, if I was a drummer and the founding member of a famous band only to be considered expendable after 20 years, I'd probably just shoot them all in the face and laugh myself to death in prison. Something obv a 14 year old would say. Aren't you late for school son?

anonymous 4/7/2015 8:50:09 AM

What's up with LG showing the same "Rust in Peace" video on every damn Megadeth post?

anonymous 4/7/2015 10:13:48 AM

Dave is such a diaper baby, I don't really know why anyone would wanna work with him again or at all outside of some money. But it sounds like he's even trying to keep it all for himself at this point. Just die, Dave, go...rust in peace.

anonymous 4/7/2015 10:42:11 AM

Wasn't Menza the 4th drummer for Megadeth? Hardly a founding member. And say what you will about LOG but Chris Adler makes this new album exciting for me.

anonymous 4/7/2015 11:28:29 AM

I have a raging clue!

anonymous 4/7/2015 11:32:21 AM

NOBODY CARES ABOUT THIS WASHED UP BAAAAAAAND!

anonymous 4/7/2015 11:39:20 AM

And say what you will about LOG but Chris Adler makes this new album exciting for me ^^This^^ Guy is a phenomenal drummer

anonymous 4/7/2015 12:39:56 PM

fck you Dave, be a good person...your voice sucks too

anonymous 4/7/2015 1:34:24 PM

bring Behler back

anonymous 4/7/2015 1:52:20 PM

Menza either was on drugs again and everyone saw, or Mustaine just fcke up real big

anonymous 4/7/2015 1:53:39 PM

I must have...more...MEGADESK!!!

anonymous 4/7/2015 2:01:43 PM

In all honesty, Megadeth has never really needed a "demanding" drummer who does crazy fast fills or double kick or blast beats. The best drummer that they had was Gar and you're not gonna be able to get that dude back in the band unless you're into Necromancy...only then could it be a possibility hahaha! But, seriously...the biggest Megabummer out of all this Meganews and Megannouncements is that there is still no Marty Friedman or even Chris Poland. That just Megasucks!

anonymous 4/7/2015 3:44:52 PM

is it really necessary to indicate "Megadeth's" before the name Dave Mustaine in 2015?

anonymous 4/7/2015 4:11:36 PM

Dave mustaine and the drummer from lamb of god don't care because they are too busy watching Doug: the complete first season while they right the new record, inspired by mr dink and doug not wanted to eat liver and onions

anonymous 4/7/2015 4:55:26 PM

Menza rules, but I still back Megadoo.

anonymous 4/7/2015 8:22:12 PM

Mustaine first tried Gar Samuelson then finally realized he was dead, and not just ignoring him.

anonymous 4/8/2015 3:11:11 AM

They should all kiss and make up, then play a cover of "Killer Tofu"