NewsSeptember 29, 2014 8:21 AM ET8,794 views

Veil Of Maya frontman reveals why he quit the band

Last week Veil Of Maya revealed that they had parted ways with frontman Brandon Butler. A day later, Butler issued his own statement, revealing that creative differences led to his exit. Here's what he had to say:
"As most of you know by now I am no longer in Veil of Maya. This decision was one of the toughest ones I have ever made in my life. The journey I have had traveling the world and playing for people who want to hear music I helped create is impossible to describe in words. The last 7 years of my life have been one wild ride and there is nothing I would take back about it. It was a dream of mine to make an impact with my words, even if in just a few lives. I will NEVER stop being passionate for music and writing as it is a massive part of my life. I feel as if I was on the verge of writing some of my best lyrics yet with the VOM guys and wish I could have showed you all. "Marc, Sam, and Danny are currently working extremely hard on some amazing stuff that I know you guys will enjoy. They have a strong vision for how this album should sound and personally and creatively I had a different view from theirs which caused a wedge between us in this last year. I spent 7 years of my life hanging out with those guys grinding it out on the road and will always love them like brothers regardless of how it ended. It was an adventure with tons of ups and downs. Thank you so much to everyone who was a part of my time with veil. You changed my life for the better! The biggest thing I will miss is sharing experiences and stories with my friends around the world. Thank you for everything you have given me. VOM has the best fans ever! It was an absolute honor sharing the stage with you all and I'll miss it. Stay fucking metal \m/"

anonymous 9/29/2014 5:33:56 AM

Veil of no care ever

anonymous 9/29/2014 5:45:50 AM

^ This

anonymous 9/29/2014 7:25:53 AM

Veil of Cryah

anonymous 9/29/2014 7:55:46 AM

"Stay fcking metal \m/" BRO, DO YOU EVEN METAL?!?! The answer is no. Band fcking sucks.

anonymous 9/29/2014 8:36:27 AM

1. That's not why you quit. Tell us about what happened near the end of mayhem. 2. You didn't help create anything. Ash black-balled your vocal patterns and lyrics and rewrote them for you. Quit lying.

anonymous 9/29/2014 9:06:04 AM

^rest of the band

anonymous 9/29/2014 9:15:38 AM

Staying Metal is hard bruh.

anonymous 9/29/2014 10:20:19 AM

band is for idiots

shit_salesman 9/29/2014 10:53:21 AM

all those words, and yet he still gave no actual reason for quitting

anonymous 9/29/2014 10:55:06 AM

What happened near the end of Mayhem!?

anonymous 9/29/2014 11:17:23 AM

Scott vogal is stoked

anonymous 9/29/2014 12:11:22 PM

i remember Terror and veil of maya toured liked last summer. and i heard scott vogel talked shit about em on stage.and then gave a shout out to every time i die. typical thing scott vogel would do.haha

anonymous 9/29/2014 12:53:26 PM

Didn't even read the story. Just wanted to comment that no one gives a flying fck about this shit band or their shit members.

anonymous 9/29/2014 2:19:22 PM

^ wiener squeezer

anonymous 9/29/2014 4:24:35 PM

This guy 'writes'? He can't even write an I quit the band statement.

anonymous 9/29/2014 7:00:37 PM

If I may be the only non-troll here, the first two albums were fantastic. Most plebs are jaded towards a metal band with any degree of mainstream reputation. Perhaps liking this band wouldn't coincide with your ohh so refined taste.

anonymous 9/29/2014 7:02:27 PM

Anyway, I hope the direction of the band had something to do with Brandon's departure. Ever since Misha got his grubby little paws on VoM they have gone completely downhill. I dislike that f*** so much. He sucks just as much as the new Veil of Maya does. Misha, stop ruining absolutely everything about modern metal. We all hate you. And we all hate your ridiculous diamond encrusted, whale tooth inlay, 24 karat gold flake and child's tear finish, bullshit custom guitars.

anonymous 9/29/2014 7:59:22 PM

grinding it out on the roadgrinding it out on the roadgrinding it out on the roadgrinding it out on the roadgrinding it out on the roadgrinding it out on the roadgrinding it out on the roadgrinding it out on the roadgrinding it out on the roadgrinding it out on the roadgrinding it out on the road

anonymous 9/29/2014 8:31:44 PM

Ever since Misha got his grubby little paws on VoM they have gone completely downhill. I dislike that f*** so much. He sucks just as much as the new Veil of Maya does. Misha, stop ruining absolutely everything about modern metal." Finally,someone on this site that gets music! Periphery is so "talented" that they make such awful songs. "I can write an opera, but can't express a single thought without 3 vocal harmony shifts in a song" -misha

anonymous 9/29/2014 8:38:51 PM

2. You didn't help create anything. Ash black-balled yourlyrics and rewrote them for you. This is nothing new. Ash writes for every band of his. Lyrics, band names, everything. He lives his broken metal dreams that way with every band on his label with the exception of one that he most likely, legally, can't change shit about, which is Periphery.

anonymous 10/1/2014 9:01:09 AM

^no shit, but i commented that for all the children that read Brandon's statement and think he really helped create something.

anonymous 10/3/2014 7:15:05 AM

"1. That's not why you quit. Tell us about what happened near the end of mayhem." I too am curious about what happened near the end of Mayhem?

anonymous 11/11/2014 4:37:51 PM

What did happen near the end of Mayhem?

anonymous 5/9/2015 12:00:42 PM

I've heard the entire new album, it's just awful. Sad to see such a unique band turn into complete run-of-the-mill jerks. Sorry to see the old vocalist go, now easy to see why.