All That Remains singer explains Tom Morello Tweet

Thursday, August 23, 2012 6:30 PM PT / 6,025 views

Phil Labonte, lead singer of All That Remains, has issued a statement clarifying his Tweet regarding Tom Morello's Rolling Stone piece, in which he called out Vice Presidential candidate Paul Ryan for liking Rage Against The Machine:
Ok, so here we go. I'm taking the time to write this to clarify my 140 character comment on Tom Morello's piece in Rolling Stone. I've caught a lot of heat over my remarks about it. Mostly from the metal blogs or individuals pointing out that he went to Harvard and I didn't, so he must be right and I must be an idiot. Well I would submit to the left (the most vocal, angry and vitriolic about my comment) that GWB and Bill O'Reilly both went to Harvard. Does that make them infallible and brilliant? Yeah, I didn't think so. Let me start by stating I do not support Romney/Ryan in the upcoming election. I am not a republican. I do not support statism. I know it's hard for the far left and the far right to understand, but it's true. I am called a "liberal" by the far right for my opinion on drug policy, gay marriage, immigration, etc. I am called a "right wing nut" by the far left for my opinion on gun rights and fiscal policy. That myopic and lazy view of "right" and "left" is what I am staunchly against. On to the point. I've never met Tom Morello so my comments were in no way meant to be a personal attack on his character. Though I do believe his political opinions are incoherent and foolish, I also believe he has good intentions. I said he's a communist because I believe I have heard him call himself a communist. I have seen him wear a hat that said "COMMIE" on it in photos. If I am incorrect and my recollections are inaccurate and he is simply a socialist, then I would offer my apology. Regardless, that remark wasn't intended to be an insult as so many people have portrayed it. It was a comment on what I believe his political ideology is, and again, if I am incorrect, I am sorry. But I don't retract the core of my statement. I'm gonna quote Tom's piece. "I wonder what Ryan's favorite Rage song is... is it the one where we call on the people to seize the means of production?" That one sentence speaks volumes about his perspective. He is advocating theft and the initiation of violence against a minority by the majority. That is immoral. Now I understand he is focusing his rage on "The 1%" and because of the minority in question, it's socially acceptable to demonize them and call for theft and violence against them. But that doesn't change the fact that he is calling for violence against, and seizure of the property of, a minority. In the piece he calls for "a more humane and just planet". Is aggression and theft justice? Unequivocally no. It is my perspective as a libertarian, the best way to limit the power and influence of "The 1%" is to limit the power of government to influence society via legislation. If you have no favors to sell, you will have no one trying to buy favors. One may not share my libertarian views, but none the less, it is hard to reconcile advocating violence as somehow morally correct. He talks about covering "fuck the police" and wonders if that is one of Ryan's favorites. Yet he would need a powerful government who would use the police to force people into submission to further his agenda. His perspective and agendas could not be achieved any other way. This makes no sense. He condemns US imperialism, and I agree on this point, but then later in the piece he whimsically hopes that Paul Ryan is a mole who would "Throw US military support behind the Zapatistas". Is that NOT a contradiction? He would condemn US intervention in one area of the world, but support it in another? Never mind the fact that constitutionally, not even the president, let alone the vice president, has the authority to do this. Again this makes no sense. In closing, if Tom's perspective was not simply looking to use the force of government to further his own political predilections, I would retract my statement and offer a full apology. But I don't believe any of the things he is advocating could be achieved without the force of government. Government is violence. Using violence to coerce is immoral. Tom's perspective therefore is advocating violence and aggression, disguised as peace and unity. This is immoral and I'm not sorry for pointing that out.

anonymous 8/23/2012 6:37:41 PM

politics, schmolitics!

LoydChristmas 8/23/2012 7:08:55 PM

LoydChristmas 8/23/2012 7:09:04 PM

And also, the "Right or Left" mentality is fcking everything up too. I love guns and think gov't should stay the fck out of private business. I also think weed should be legal, gays should do whatever the hell they want, and women should get abortions if they want. I must be a fringe nutjob.

truthstar 8/23/2012 7:11:06 PM

I don't like ATR, but fck this guy can articulate well. Props, your stance is highly agreeable.

anonymous 8/23/2012 7:11:14 PM

/me fartsssssss. and then goes to work and stops listening to tom/singer of shitty band.

dog_boner 8/23/2012 7:21:23 PM

all that essays

poo_butt_goblin 8/23/2012 7:26:25 PM

Hmmm not an ATR fan either, but everything he said above is true. Rockstars, Movie Directors, Athletes and any other highly popular public figures all love to "bash the system" and speak out against it, yet without it they don't exist and don't have what they have.

poo_butt_goblin 8/23/2012 7:26:36 PM

I'm not defending the way the Government is currently run as there is plenty to improve upon at all times, but Christ every time I hear a rockstar say we'd be better off with a communist government, I always wonder, "What the fck would you being doing then? You damn sure would not be playing music." Props to Phil for defending his point intelligently and pointing out fundamental flaws in the opposing argument. Oh yea, TLNR

anonymous 8/23/2012 7:27:55 PM

Hurrrr...Durrrr...I'm a libertarian!!!! Well, the Free Market has all your music on torrents. So, I'm rock out to your tracks and never gonna give you a fcking penny--you racist scum.

anonymous 8/23/2012 7:47:44 PM

By trying to sound intelligent, he ended his last paragraph of the essay with, "In closing." Anyone intelligent knows better.

anonymous 8/23/2012 8:18:56 PM

How many commenters are going to make the moronic 'you operate within the system and therefore can't criticize the system' point in the next 10 mins?

anonymous 8/23/2012 8:29:25 PM

Also, a large part of Phil's case seems to be based on the idea that Morello is calling for violence with his 'seizing the means of production' statement. I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that Morello wasn't suggesting people throw corporate big wigs out their windows and steal their companies out from beneath them. RATM and Morello have never to my knowledge called for a violent uprising, so much as protest and political action. Eliminating corporate personhood being a damn good start.

zerofender 8/23/2012 8:38:29 PM

This is some real scholarly stuff to be on Lambgoat. If it's not about Johnny Craig or a vanflip nobody seems to care, but seriously who are these people with their correctly spelled and intelligent responses? Is it just Phil posting replies to himself?

anonymous 8/23/2012 8:57:58 PM

LoydChristmas1 hour ago Tom Morello, like most liberals, is a misguided hypocrite. Maybe he means well, who knows. But he demonizes the "1%" (a ridiculous term in itself) and "the system, man" while sitting there in his million dollar mansion. lol I highly doubt he has a million dollar mansion.

truthstar 8/23/2012 10:11:20 PM

/\/\ probably million dollar gear doe

LoydChristmas 8/24/2012 5:08:02 AM

anonymous 8/24/2012 5:22:51 AM

More sanctimonious clowns with a forum to speak their bullshit opinions because they can write a memorable riff (or whatever Phil does). Come on, it's a bullshit. Do what I do: Turn on Rush and O'Reilly and listen to the TRUTH.

anonymous 8/24/2012 6:02:21 AM

RATM get 1 million € for a euro-festival gig, just sayin...

Stupid_News_Poster 8/24/2012 8:56:21 AM

LoydChristmas3 hours ago anonymous 8 hours ago lol I highly doubt he has a million dollar mansion. Figure of speech. I guarantee you Tom Morello is the opposite of poor. No mansion, but it certainly isn't cheap. http://virtualglobetrottin g.com/map/tom-morellos-hou se/

purplesabbath87 8/24/2012 10:12:54 AM

most people who think they are the 99% are actually in the 1&. that argument is pointless. in the overall population of the world, the 99% make less than $34,000 us a year. so if you make that or more, YOU ARE THE 1%!!!!

anonymous 8/24/2012 1:16:12 PM

Let us not forget that RATM were on Epic, owned by Sony... real fckin grass roots eh Tom?

duckduckfootloose 8/24/2012 2:21:00 PM

Phil is well spoken, but uninformed on the issues. If an entity employs power and influence to have laws rewritten such that their seizure of property is considered legal and just, then the legality of actions perpetrated against them are irrelevant. Such is the burden under which the America system must live.

anonymous 8/24/2012 3:55:23 PM

someone just shit in my mouth ALREADY

lambgoat 8/25/2012 12:30:19 PM

hey look, another jerk libertarian with opinions

anonymous 8/25/2012 1:37:28 PM

lol. Phil Labonte is a just another politically retarded Paultard. Abolish the FED, bro!

anonymous 8/25/2012 1:38:45 PM

lol. state = force = immoral, bro. What is funny is that people like Phil here have no answers of how to (seemingly) abolish the state. What a joke.

anonymous 8/25/2012 1:41:14 PM

Phil asks: "Is aggression and theft justice?" Well that is was his precious Capitalism has been been built off of for over six hundred years now. He may disagree with that but he has no answers on how to solve that. Including the fact that his White, European ass sits comfortably on stolen land. And he calls Tom Morello a hypocrite.... ha!

anonymous 8/27/2012 10:41:18 PM

^^^^^ THANK YOU. i was scrolling through these posts and waiting if someone was going to speak some sense or if i was going to have to do it.

ineedsalt 8/28/2012 11:58:34 AM

i can guarantee he has multiple houses. they got big when bands could sell 20-30 million albums, he has invested wisely im sure. he went on tour with that crappy stuff he was doing that nobody cared about and he is just fine financially. anyway im done caring right n