Chris Cornell's family takes issue with coroner's report

Friday, May 19, 2017 7:12 AM PT

Yesterday a medical examiner ruled that Soundgarden vocalist Chris Cornell's May 17th death was a "suicide by hanging." The singer's family is now questioning the medical examiner's conclusion, issuing a new statement in which they suggest that drugs may have impaired Cornell's decision making abilities.

Specifically, the family believes that the prescription anti-anxiety medication, Ativan, may be at fault. Cornell allegedly took a substantial dose of the drug prior to his death.

"Without the results of toxicology tests, we do not know what was going on with Chris—or if any substances contributed to his demise," the Cornell family explained.

His wife, Vicky said, "Chris's death is a loss that escapes words and has created an emptiness in my heart that will never be filled. As everyone who knew him commented, Chris was a devoted father and husband... When we spoke after the show, I noticed he was slurring his words; he was different. When he told me he may have taken an extra Ativan or two, I contacted security and asked that they check on him."

She added: "What happened is inexplicable and I am hopeful that further medical reports will provide additional details. I know that he loved our children and he would not hurt them by intentionally taking his own life. The outpouring of love and support from his fans, friends and family means so much more to us than anyone can know. Thank you for that, and for understanding how difficult this is for us."

95 days ago
Tale of the tape:
Dude was slurring during the show. Whatever he did kicked in hard mid-set.

95 days ago
Post a link to the show, need to see if this is Scott Weiland blank stare shit or what.

Dude was rich enough to stay off heroin by going with the pills

95 days ago
Suicidality: Benzodiazepines may sometimes unmask suicidal ideation in depressed patients, possibly through disinhibition or fear reduction. The concern is that benzodiazepines may inadvertently become facilitators of suicidal behavior.[51][verification needed][52] Therefore, lorazepam should not be prescribed in high doses or as the sole treatment in depression, but only with an appropriate antidepressant[specify].

https://en.m.wikipedia.org /wiki/Lorazepam

95 days ago
fck pills

95 days ago
What his wife said doesn't make a lot of sense. When you abuse medication there are consequences. If he OD'd on heroin would she blame the heroin and not him? If he drank until death of liver cirrhosis would she blame alcohol and not him? Just because in this case the pills indirectly killed him rather than stopping his heart or whatever directly does not make him any less responsible.

95 days ago
Chris made the choice to abuse the medication by taking more than his prescribed amount-- maybe it wasn't even legitimately prescribed. He might have been been a good guy and a good dad but to absolve him of blame in his own death is irresponsible.

Watch your kids like a hawk woman, otherwise they may fall the same way. It would be their fault, and it would be their parents' fault. Not the drugs'.

STRAIGHT EDGE!

94 days ago
it's because his family knows it was AUTOEROTIC ASPHYXIATION!!!!

94 days ago
probably has to do with life insurance if his death is officially ruled a suicide someone doesn't get a massive payout.

94 days ago
good point, very good point

Side question: do ODs count as suicide for life insurance purposes?

94 days ago
what a loser, feel bad he left a family behind but seriously?!?! Natural selection doing its job once agin?<------ pot calling the kettle black, b.t.w. nice spelling of the word "again..." you're welcomed, fruit cup....

STRAIGHT EDGE!

94 days ago
STRAIGHT EDGE!PFFT!!!<------- did you fart(?) i smell KY.

fck HIM!!!!! I thought this was a hardcore /metal page not gay rock

94 days ago
Straight edge means this is one less problem I need to deal with in my life.

94 days ago
uh is srj on here right now cuz these posts getting weird

94 days ago
LG trained eyes are always monitoring. no confirmed srj posts

94 days ago
I don't get it? The coroner says hanging, but she is just like "Nah, it's drugs."? How does that work?

sound garden

94 days ago
Nothing againge edge in general but I'd rather him still be here than you militant inhumane edge fcks also his "gay rock" lead me to hardcore and metal.

94 days ago
What do they take issue with? Just because he was fcked up when he killed himself doesn't mean it wasn't suicide. Unless they want to argue that he was MURDERED and someone made it look like a suicide. That would make this story so much better!

Chris'*

94 days ago
The flame that burns the brightest burns the shortest. Whoever is screaming straight edge, shut the fck up you fad chasing idiot. You are the exact reason why I call myself drug-free. I don't want people to be confused and mix me up with idiots like you. You can make fun of me for being 40 years old and posting on lambgoat but I can bet your ass I've been drug-free a hell of a lot longer than you.

94 days ago
^ drugs and alcohol rule triggered guy

94 days ago
another rich dude with too many drugs.
call it what it is.

94 days ago
the rope was made with Ativan

94 days ago
Cornell's bodyguard found Cornell on the bathroom floor, "with blood running from his mouth and a red exercise band around [his] neck." The body guard had been in Cornell's room shortly before he received a call from Cornell's wife. He helped the singer fix his computer and then gave Cornell two Ativan pills, "which victim takes for anxiety."

94 days ago
Just found my bands new name - The Red Exercise - "with blood running from his mouth and a red exercise band around [his] neck,"

94 days ago
Can't believe that guy said he would rather be dead than edge. Drug free is your natural state as a human. Ok maybe you hate the edge scene but you don't mean you'd rather be a dead addict than a drug free human do you?

94 days ago
I think I'll kill myself too.

94 days ago
drug free for the win. don't need to claim edge to make the decision to keep that shit out of your body and life

And that's why I'm gay

Sorry guys wrong chat

94 days ago
You don't need to come out of the closet to act a little gay sometimes

fck Straight Edge, shit was cool in 2007

94 days ago
exactly. claiming it now or doing it is poser shit

94 days ago
Has anyone on here heard the Black Hole Sun cover by The Acacia Strain, it's prettz heavz. I've been so exhausted lately I wouldn't be surprise if the next death you hear about is me...Guys hello it is 'Deathcore' Jon. I don't wanna die though. Life is topz lately dating my mom and all (see earlier post). I will still heart the deathcores tho lol. OH MY SHIT. What is that caterwauling I hear???

(part 2)
Oh just my mom lol. "Jonni Snake, Joooooonni Snaaaaake..." lmao. Guess she wants me to slam her before we have r ramenz. Totez adorbz. haha. Later suckaz.

'Deathcore' Jon

np: end it with a shotgun - flesh rot face fck

94 days ago
^ starting the weekend with an L to the face

94 days ago
dude should of burned a wicked huge blunt with prime bud instead of dealing with pills.

Rip, his version of One played too a U2 song is mind blowing.

94 days ago
The family does have a point.
Anybody whos taken a lot of ativan or any benzo, knows that you completely black out and have no memory of the prior 12 hours. During this blackout you could potentially do anything

94 days ago
Just like the bitch that married the dead Slipknot dude, I hope she doesn't get a central

DOCTORS DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT HOUSEWIVES DO

"Suicide is badass."

-Frank Reynolds

Guy should've pulled a Chris Benoit

94 days ago
the family read the internet.

he did not take the pills as described. of course there are side effects.

94 days ago
i knew chris on a personal level. i often called him chrissy poo

93 days ago
STRAIGHT EDGE<----W4@t @ L053R.

93 days ago
"anonymous
19 hours ago

Rip, his version of One played too a U2 song is mind blowing.
permalink | report abuse"

Reading that last sentence caused me serious brain pain.

93 days ago
i really think the Russians had something to do with it.

92 days ago
^^ nice attempt at humor though it just proves you have the cognitive function of a 6th grader fruit

89 days ago
fck you STRAIGHT EDGE jerks. So damn uptight that you are miserable. One day you guys may need meds for something and you will be worried about covering up your "X's"