Nothingface singer Matt Holt dies

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 7:24 AM PT

Official press release:

Matt Holt, former singer of Nothingface, passed away at home in Maryland on April 15. He had been battling a degenerative illness for several years. He is survived by his parents and his younger brother.

While he had not been active musically in recent years, Holt, who toured the world several times over with his band in the early '00s, is remembered as being an unparalleled talent and as one of most skilled vocalists of his generation, thanks to his incredibly impressive range, which shifted from terrifically brutal to beautifully melodic.

4/19/2017 7:59:39 AM
RIP. was a fan during the nu-metal years

4/19/2017 8:42:07 AM
Such a bummer. RIP

4/19/2017 9:38:43 AM
Audio guide to everyday atrocity is a fcking ripper bummer. RIP

4/19/2017 9:41:05 AM
Its always the good ones that go..

4/19/2017 10:31:32 AM
That song Breathe Out was heavy. Bummer.

4/19/2017 11:34:08 AM
Saw them a couple times back in the day. I remember him yelling at the bouncers in philly for roughing up a kid.

4/19/2017 1:10:02 PM
So good to see the positive vibes. This is truly sad. Dude was quite an inspiration in my early teens. Awesome lyrics and voice.

4/19/2017 3:07:28 PM
It always a shame in the brain to see one of ur employees (Under the table of course) go to waste even if it was just scrapin the scum out SHAVO toenails lmao xD srj tmkn/sod fame. Some might say it in bad taste to blog about a man death but sod always about pushing ur envelope and ur bottons lol den Mlkn pushed me to blog this this is not the opinion-srjcl strks record inc

4/19/2017 3:52:18 PM
Nothingface was the very first band I seen live as an adult my very first show on my own, they opened for Pantera. Fly high brotha

4/19/2017 3:58:52 PM
Man, this is crushing. Nothingface was my favorite band for years. I can't count how many times I sang along to their albums trying to sound like Matt. Amazing vocalist.

4/19/2017 4:44:53 PM
As much as I grew out of and hate nü metal, nothingface were always a big cut above the rest. Tom Maxwell actually wrote cool riffs and the rhythm section was stop on a dime accurate. Must've hurt a lot to see Tom play with a poor man's Matt Holt in HellYeah. Sad. I'll actually give Everyday Atrocity tonight. RIP.

4/19/2017 7:17:25 PM
not srj. LG persona eyes still calling it

4/19/2017 9:25:19 PM
terrible news - amazing band - an even more incredible vocalist - audio guide & violence are brilliant - i will never forget the dude at musicland directing me to Nothingface in 98 conparing them to a deftones meets slipknot - how he knew of slipknot back then was beyond me - i wonder what that wizard is listening to know - RIP MATT HOLT

4/19/2017 10:17:30 PM
Nothingface were one of the best bands of the nu-metal era. Havent listened to them in years but I think Ill jam them tonight in memory of Matt. RIP.

4/19/2017 10:50:26 PM
Always a dope band. Underrated as fck. RIP

4/20/2017 5:15:06 AM
Did enjoy me some Nothingface during the nu metal years. Sucks bro.

4/20/2017 6:08:26 AM
I guess none of you ever heard the story about the Nothingface reunion tour in 2006 with Crossbreed and Silent Civilian? You should look up that one. Nothingface was nothing but a bunch of sellouts and epic-level douchebags. I'm sad that this guy is dead but let's not act like Nothingface was anything but a C-list nu-metal band that spent its entire existence opening for more talented and successful bands.

4/20/2017 1:34:52 PM
Look at all these stupid wallet-chain gays with their comments. Please off yourself.

4/20/2017 6:01:07 PM
^ typed that from his mom's laptop wearing creamsicle orange flip flops and lime green sunglasses

4/21/2017 6:19:15 AM
"let's not act like Nothingface was anything but a C-list nu-metal band that spent its entire existence opening for more talented and successful bands"

^is mad his mom wouldn't let him buy the Nothingface CD because it was PARENTAL ADVISORY

4/21/2017 9:03:39 AM
LOL @ Crossbreed and Silent Civilian being "more talented and more successful bands."
glow in the dark tattoos and blacklight contact lenses are stoked.
RIP, Matt Holt.

4/21/2017 10:37:54 AM
bummer. awesome band.

4/22/2017 2:57:56 AM
Pacifier, Audio Guide, and Violence were such good albums. Matt's presence was huge onstage. Sad to hear he withered away with a degenerative disease. Awful way to go. No more suffering tho, RIP