Brain Drill breaks up

Thursday, March 20, 2008 9:33 AM PT

California death metal outfit Brain Drill has broken up (for now) following some obvious dysfunction within the band. The group just released their Metal Blade Records debut last month.

Guitarist Dylan Ruskin explains:

"Three members of Brain Drill (Steve, Marco, Jeff) have huge weed smoking habits. I do not and couldn't be more against smoking weed. I don't have a problem if you do it but just be smart about it. Before we left for this tour with the Black Dahlia Murder I told them a million times not to bring weed, pipes, etc. with them in the van because we are driving across the country and the last thing we need is to get pulled over and arrested for possession. The laws in CA are nothing compared other states. They don't listen to me and go ahead and bring pipes weed, papers and even brought an ounce of mushrooms. We get pulled over outside of Salt Lake City, UT, right after they had just smoked a blunt. The car smelled like weed. The cop comes up to the window and he says is "I smell pot," so they take us out of the car and they search the van. They tear it apart and even use a dog to sniff out everything. They find the weed, pipes, and mushrooms. I was convinced that we were going to jail but for whatever reason they let us go. After we pulled away I told them "from now on the rule of the band is to not ever bring weed pipes or other drugs into the van and also not to smoke in the van." Jeff's response: "I don't think that's gonna happen, bro." They neglected to listen to me and the next day there were more pipes and accessories in the van. We then get pulled over another 4 times before our first show. Miraculously we didn't get searched again.

We play the tour and we had an awesome time. Our last show was supposed to be in Buffalo. I had bought a stockpile of firecrackers which are legal in South Carolina so I was not 100% innocent but a lot less [guilty] than them. We start driving and soon we see a sign for Canada, I asked everyone it looks like we are headed for Canada are you guys sure we shouldn't stop and turn around? I even took a wrong turn and as we were looking for the freeway… the sign says ‘Canada straight ahead.’ No one answered me so I continued to drive. Sure enough we get to the Canadian border. They ask us for our passports I said we only have our IDs. We show the guy our IDs he then writes us a ticket and makes us pull over. The guy said ‘since you guys don't have passports we are going to have to search your vehicle.’ They find everybody’s weed. They find Steve's knife and Jeff's knife and my firecrackers. Steve and Jeff start to flip out on the border patrol and start cursing and saying ‘this is bullshit, this is the first and last time I'm ever coming to Canada.’ The cops asked ‘why are you guys making this such a big deal?’ They responded, ‘because this is bullshit.’ The cop said ‘since you think it's bullshit we are now going to give you all full body cavity searches.’ I was the first one to get searched. They stripped me naked had me lift my ballsack up so they could check underneath it, and then had me bend over and spread my asscheeks apart so they could look inside my asshole. After they finished searching all of us we were never going to make it to the Buffalo show. All of this shit could have been prevented if they had just listened to me. Also, they let me keep my firecrackers and told me, ‘The reason we are searching you is because we found weed in Jeff's van.’ They said nothing about the firecrackers.

I had done nothing wrong but because people in the van didn't listen to me, I was stripped naked and had to go through the most humiliating experience of my life. So right after that happened I took my cut of the money which was $1,000 dollars out of the $5,000 we had made. I told everyone, ‘I am taking my cut of the money before anything else happens.’ No one responded. Since we couldn't make it to that show we figured we would just drive to Tinley Park. I am so mad I thought to myself ‘I can either beat the shit out of all of them, scream my head off or just keep calm and quiet.’ I figured I would be mature and keep quiet. After we checked into the hotel they told me ‘we are going to the promoter's house.’ They didn't say they were going to go set up and get ready for the show, they just said ‘we are going to the promoter's house.’ So I sat there and waited and thought, ‘I can either take more risks and stay with them in the van and risk getting pulled over again and sent to jail again, or I can take a plane home safe and sound.’ My phone had died so I figured they were going to just come pick me up at the hotel when it was time to play the show. Hours go by and finally by 1am they show up to the room, grab there stuff hop into the van and drive off. They had deserted me with no way of getting home. I was lucky enough to stop them so I could get a small amount of cash so that I could at least take a taxi to the airport they asked me if I wanted to come with them but I didn’t want to risk getting pulled over and cavity searched again so I said I'll leave. If I didn't run up to the van they were going to desert me anyway so what is the point of staying in a van with a bunch of people who betrayed and hate you? It was a $309 dollar flight one way back to San Jose, but I had no choice.

All of this happened none of them to apologize even once the entire trip after I had warned them several times about keeping weed in the van. Sorry, but being stripped naked and having your scrotum and butthole spread open for doing nothing wrong is where I draw the line. The ironic thing is that all of them acted like it was my fault. After they all got home I said ‘I am willing to talk if you guys have something to say.’ No one replied, so I said ‘Then are you guys done?’ and they said ‘yes.’ So as of now I am the only one left in Brain Drill. THEY DECIDED TO LEAVE, not me, and I didn't fire any of them. I hope to some day at least do one last recording but for now it's all over."

Meanwhile, bassist Jeff Hughell responded:

"Well, Dylan you left out many facts in this attack on us. The fact that at the border I was totally respectful to the officers and took full responsibility for the seeds that were in the ash tray which is all we had on us, also you had a big bag of illegal fireworks and that was not allowed in Canada. They did not arrest us or give any citation, we probably would have made it to Buffalo just in time to play if you had just given up your fireworks but you wanted to keep them and go back to the US.

You then took $1000 dollars right there at the border and would not talk to us. Over 24 hours later I tried to ask if you were going to play the show in Tinley Park, if you just wanted to go home or what you wanted to do. You would not respond, so we left to go to the promoter's house. You texted Steve that you would not be playing the next two nights because we had weed in the van, which we didn't.

And you might not know it but we found your piece of paper on the desk with the number for Amtrak. Finding that, you not talking to us, then texting us saying you would not play, what the fuck were we to think? We played the show in Tinley Park without you because you said you wouldn't play. We talked to many cool people that had driven 2 hours just to see us play. We did our best and they appreciated it.

We then went back to the hotel to get our things and spend the night at the promoter's house. Again you ignored us refusing to talk to anyone until we began to drive away. You came out to the van drunk and kept saying ‘you guys are leaving me.’ I asked you to get in the van and come with us 4 times. You wouldn't so we gave you an extra $200 to help out with the plane even though you had already taken $1000.

Shit happens Dylan. People should know the truth. By the way it's my van, not the band's."

3/20/2008 9:39:40 AM
first post old news

3/20/2008 9:40:41 AM
Summary: Dude 1 "DAY FINGURD MAI BUHT BAND IZ OVER >:|" Dude 2 "LOLOLOLOL"

3/20/2008 9:42:59 AM
holy fcking incredible. he lifted my ballsack...

3/20/2008 9:47:04 AM
these days, cowards outnumber the heroes

3/20/2008 9:47:18 AM
Hahahahaha...what a butthurt gay.

3/20/2008 9:48:49 AM
holy lol. Incredible news. Best way to start the day.

3/20/2008 9:48:59 AM
time to get a new guitarist. that dude is straight gheybarrrrr...SMOKE TREES!

3/20/2008 9:50:31 AM
lolz!!!!!!!!!!!

3/20/2008 9:53:54 AM
Good, fck Brain Drill.

3/20/2008 9:55:42 AM
proves my point that everyone from california is a gay

3/20/2008 9:55:54 AM
lol

3/20/2008 9:57:34 AM
Mike 3/20/2008 9:55:54 AM lol

3/20/2008 9:58:47 AM
LOL. what the fck????

3/20/2008 9:59:40 AM
hahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahah

3/20/2008 10:02:03 AM
hahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha*takes deep breath*hahahahahaha. this is epic

3/20/2008 10:02:27 AM
sawtooth is so angry hes shaking. *high fives phobophile*

3/20/2008 10:06:11 AM
they'll be back together next week

3/20/2008 10:12:28 AM
haha what losers

3/20/2008 10:13:19 AM
megalolz. best break up story ever. gays.

3/20/2008 10:24:09 AM
major fcking lols were had from this story, this is the best thing this band has ever done. "Mr. Chapelle, lift your sack and spread your cheeks!"

3/20/2008 10:24:55 AM
i cant beleive i actually read that whole thing

3/20/2008 10:25:56 AM
this first dude does sound like a huge gay and to be honest why are you getting pulled over so fcking much? drive better

3/20/2008 10:29:46 AM
to gay from brain drill-- if you think im going to fcking read that, go fck yourself.

3/20/2008 10:30:44 AM
poor bastard,i heard of taking one for the team but fck that!..fck your other band mates.you want to smoke weed ,thats cool,but fcken a ,that gives all other stoners a bad name.fcking c-cksukers pry liked ithe three finger tickle!

3/20/2008 10:37:44 AM
bwhahahaha..........

3/20/2008 10:51:20 AM
and here i thought these dudes were edge

3/20/2008 10:57:22 AM
ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!

3/20/2008 10:58:03 AM
holy shit this story is awesome

3/20/2008 11:04:40 AM
Wow that was hilarious. Whole band sounds like douche bags.

3/20/2008 11:12:08 AM
GET WASTE FOURTWENTY

3/20/2008 11:12:40 AM
This would make a great Soap Opera. Anyway, shitty news. But knowing these dudes, I could actually imagine this exactly going down between them.

3/20/2008 11:26:24 AM
amazing musicians, shit band.

3/20/2008 11:28:25 AM
i once did art for these guys, everyone in the band dugg it but the guitarist said it was too "cartoony" and now they have shitty merch...the end.

3/20/2008 11:34:16 AM
they parted your butthole because you're a huge gay.

3/20/2008 11:58:30 AM
who doesnt bring passport with them to borders....so glad this story happened, i hope they regroup and it happens again...jerks.

3/20/2008 12:00:05 PM
fcking lol @ Webby having to edit this because of that dumb gays spelling failures.

3/20/2008 12:05:05 PM
What a bunch of cry babies. I feel like I just had my brain drilled by a dumb stick. Break the fck up your runied.

3/20/2008 12:07:20 PM
Dylan please let it go and reform, no other bassisst in the world use the 8 finger tapping technigue and Marco is among the 10 fastest drummers in the world, vocalist is most brutal in the scene right now.

3/20/2008 12:13:12 PM
Douchebags...minus the guitar player.

3/20/2008 12:22:02 PM
this was predictable. good band.

3/20/2008 12:31:41 PM
what the fck kind of driving warrants getting pulled over that many times?

3/20/2008 12:32:27 PM
LOL

3/20/2008 12:36:01 PM
amazing!

3/20/2008 12:46:03 PM
I love the last line, "By the way it's my van, not the band's." So funny in the most ridiculous way ever!

3/20/2008 12:47:41 PM
A++ break up story. would read again.

3/20/2008 12:56:53 PM
Amazing band. Find a guitarist who isn't a pssy, and stop driving like idiots? No reason to be getting pulled over that many times. Alot of bands bring way worse drugs on tour, but dont get caught because they dont drive like idiots.

3/20/2008 1:05:08 PM
haha the most entertaining thing ive read in a while...sucks for these dudes though.

3/20/2008 1:05:32 PM
Mike 3/20/2008 9:55:54 AM lol x2

3/20/2008 1:17:21 PM
I doubt thats the first time they've had to bend over and spread their cheeks apart. gays.

3/20/2008 1:22:01 PM
i hate gingers aka the singer.

3/20/2008 1:24:22 PM
brilliance.

3/20/2008 1:29:26 PM
"I don't think that's gonna happen, bro." hahaha that was the funniest part, i thought.

3/20/2008 1:30:53 PM
hahaha have you guys seen a picture of the guitarist? he looks annoying as hell

3/20/2008 1:31:08 PM
tlnr but everyone in this band sounds like an insufferable gay. too bad they didn't get killed.

3/20/2008 1:35:57 PM
All of you gays were drooling over this band like 2 months ago. Shit news is shit, what a waste of incredible death metal.

3/20/2008 1:40:49 PM
This was pretty epic..good move getting the money

3/20/2008 1:48:08 PM
ha wow. cute story

3/20/2008 1:59:16 PM
best thing ive ever read in my life. holy lol. dont bring your weed pipes or weed holders. hahahahahahahahahahahlololhahaha

3/20/2008 1:59:32 PM
Too bad the cop didn't discharge a shotgun in that gay's butthole.

3/20/2008 2:09:12 PM
he's so against weed, yet gets wasted drunk i bet he thinks theyre killing brain cells smoking and he isn't too.

3/20/2008 2:41:34 PM
thats what happens when you have a guitarist who basically finds and starts his own band from scratch by himself

3/20/2008 2:45:02 PM
Wow what a bunch of gays. Best break up story ever though.

3/20/2008 2:48:07 PM
now imagine if these guys were rappers... the amount of pussiness here would be enough to 'expose' them as fakes and end their career. shouldn't at least someone have been killed with a drill through the brain in all of this?

3/20/2008 2:49:00 PM
"brilliance" all hail lord marco!

3/20/2008 2:56:46 PM
Who gets pulled over this often?? Classic that a new band tours and then breaks up immediately.

3/20/2008 3:00:40 PM
Vanflip(search)?

3/20/2008 3:11:00 PM
SMOKE WEED ERRRDAY gayGGGOLLLLL

3/20/2008 3:22:49 PM
lambgoat reviews brain drill.....brain drill breaks up. coincidence???? probably. * lifts sack spreads cheeks.

3/20/2008 3:22:51 PM
2 things; 1-I hope all the drugs are ok after this shake up,and 2-I bet their drummer is thinking to himself "why the fck did I leave The Faceless?"

3/20/2008 3:35:03 PM
lol to the drug comment above me. but how bout u both stop being little pssys and say what u feel right then and there instead of holding it back thus kicking out 3 members. and dont hate on stoners, do work son!

3/20/2008 3:39:03 PM
ive never read a lambgoat post that used the words scrotum and asscheeks so fcking much. hahahahahahahaha

3/20/2008 3:41:17 PM
Lolfest. Me personally, I don't care if you smoke weed (I don't), but if it comes to deciding between a finger in the butthole and ratting out your pothead band, bros is toast.

3/20/2008 3:42:15 PM
i wanna know where those shrooms are at, HIT ME UP BRAIN DRILL

3/20/2008 3:43:33 PM
gay band, epic news. 420/10

3/20/2008 3:54:02 PM
lol @ someone taking the time to make this sound less like a rant by arranging it into paragraphs and capitalizing a bunch of shit

3/20/2008 3:59:23 PM
everyone sounds like a gay, except for the canadians

3/20/2008 4:07:54 PM
Seriously how the hell did they get pulled over so many times. Of all the tours i've been on we've been pulled over once. Jesus christ.

3/20/2008 4:15:00 PM
let me just say, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU DUMB MOTHERfckERS!!!!!

3/20/2008 4:43:55 PM
wow. wow. woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow i liked this band. *shrugs*

3/20/2008 5:03:32 PM
SMOKE WEED!!! and clean your van out before border checks

3/20/2008 5:32:37 PM
haha i've been in a full time touring band for 4 years, played 44 states and 9 different countries, and we have only been pulled over one time, and that was for not having a trailer tag. You guys are idiots. Please stay broken up.

3/20/2008 5:38:59 PM
i love it when people who drink talk shit about people who smoke. fckin retards. fck dylan, pssy cant hang

3/20/2008 5:40:24 PM
lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wtf?

3/20/2008 5:47:43 PM
Holy shit, so glad I read through the whole thing

3/20/2008 5:52:51 PM
this could be the best news post i have ever read...ever.

3/20/2008 6:00:18 PM
dylan sounds like a crease, and that's coming from an edge kid. shit happens on tour. maybe you aren't cut out for it.

3/20/2008 6:19:42 PM
Pussies and potheads...proof death metal is only for the weak. Gotta belt one out here..HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

3/20/2008 6:26:07 PM
this dylan guy is a fcking poo-sayyyy. smoke weed eat mushrooms suck dck and drink beer. \m/

3/20/2008 6:30:29 PM
how does weed fckin shit up? retarded. at least this over produced tard metal is finished

3/20/2008 6:45:47 PM
this is easily the best news post i have ever read on lambgoat.

3/20/2008 6:54:40 PM
maybe they should just drive the speed limit. gayry all around, major lulz, etc

3/20/2008 7:07:27 PM
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3/20/2008 7:14:44 PM
Everyone in braindrill are gays except Dylan. Weed is gay and so are the gays who smoke it... I believe Dylan side more than some pothead. all potheads you suck rear!!!!

3/20/2008 7:24:52 PM
this was a good read hahahaha

3/20/2008 7:48:48 PM
They stripped me naked had me lift my ballsack up so they could check underneath it, and then had me bend over and spread my asscheeks apart so they could look inside my jerk.

3/20/2008 8:31:53 PM
THIS BAND IS SOOO GAY! THAT DUDE LIKED HIS BUTT BEING LOOKED AT!

3/20/2008 9:41:05 PM
I'm just glad they announced their breakup or whatever via 45 conflicting sissy bitch Myspace bulletins and blogs. fcking inflated ego-having jerks.

3/20/2008 10:13:12 PM
Hahah, this explains why they cancelled in Des Moines on Tuesday. Oops!

3/20/2008 10:29:06 PM
100th post!

3/20/2008 10:32:34 PM
this band and everyone who commented this news(including me) are complete fcking idiots

3/20/2008 10:33:07 PM
101

3/20/2008 11:06:32 PM
"I was the first one to get searched. They stripped me naked had me lift my ballsack up so they could check underneath it, and then had me bend over and spread my asscheeks apart so they could look inside my jerk" Nice

3/20/2008 11:10:59 PM
i'm glad they searched his rear

3/21/2008 12:02:26 AM
holy gay shit

3/21/2008 12:34:56 AM
damn whadda bunch of babies. good band tho. NEWS POSTS OF THE WEEK

3/21/2008 1:05:46 AM
WOW!! Lambgoat... the most appropriate place for an arguement between band members. Grow up douche bags!!! and seriousl.... how do you get pulled over so much?? learn to fckin drive

3/21/2008 2:32:20 AM
epic fail.

3/21/2008 4:02:34 AM
lol @ every metal nerd talking shit on their myspace because weed is their only friend

3/21/2008 4:50:40 AM
this story/situation has lambgoat written all over it...

3/21/2008 5:17:28 AM
cavity search

3/21/2008 9:04:28 AM
HAAHAHA. I'm gonna be late for work because of this but holy fcking shit was it worth it. One of the best news postings i've seen here since forever.

3/21/2008 11:19:57 AM
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA this made my day! Jeff is fckign dope as fck

3/21/2008 2:00:27 PM

3/21/2008 7:32:43 PM
this was definitely worth the read, lolz. nubs. drama queeeeeens.

3/21/2008 11:04:01 PM
blackpower 3/21/2008 2:00:27 PM This is a band full of gays. I'm so glad they broke up. Most overrated band possibly ever. Never reform. as gay as this shit is that is possibly the stupidest thing I've ever read

3/22/2008 1:05:37 AM
brain drill(lol) posts 376346 page description on breakup, and still... NO CARE EVER

3/22/2008 3:07:49 AM
this is the most gay story i've ever heard. mainly gay on the weed tools' parts, weed is the equivalent of a pacifier for metal queers

3/22/2008 4:31:22 PM
fck all of you wiseasses. We (Dead To Fall) got pulled over like 8 times on the last tour. It's normal.

3/22/2008 4:34:20 PM
Cops still pull your ass over when you're driving the speed limit. It's just a bunch a guys in a van and trailer. It's magnetic. It happens. I'm sure they were driving just fine.

3/22/2008 4:34:45 PM
You think you fcking jerks know. But you have no idea. This is the diary of Brain Drill.

3/22/2008 7:23:07 PM
I quite enjoyed this...

3/22/2008 8:00:26 PM
i seriously cant believe i read all that crap...this band is nothing but 8th grade female drama...give me a fcking break...they weren't even that sweet...fck off

3/22/2008 8:35:25 PM
How old are these kids?

3/23/2008 10:18:55 AM
Brain Drill + Dead To Fall = gays who can't drive or write music.

3/23/2008 1:59:47 PM
None of you know what life on the road is like. You think you know but you have no idea. This is the diary of touring bands on the road. M M M M M MTV NEWS

3/23/2008 3:47:27 PM

3/23/2008 4:05:06 PM
xivninjagrind 3/23/2008 3:47:27 PM blackpower 3/23/2008 10:18:55 AM Brain Drill + Dead To Fall = gays who can't drive or write music.

3/23/2008 8:11:58 PM
It would be funny if this turned up to be a huge joke.

3/23/2008 10:04:21 PM
"They don't listen to meh... and dey evenz went ahead and brought pipes and weed, papers and even brought an ounce of mushroomz!!11" use the Al Gore voice from South Park. guyz guuuyz I'm being suuuper Seriel!

3/23/2008 10:22:20 PM
weed on the van amazing

3/26/2008 8:17:07 AM
wooow. i still cant get over how funny this is...or how unprofessional this band is. now they have to deal with this even overshadowing their bit of a career, cuz honestly, its more memorable than their music.

8/28/2008 1:46:41 PM
yes, lambgoat news posts over shadow bands careers, give me a fcking break gayget

4/15/2010 6:08:51 PM
2 years later this still cracks me the fck up

3/3/2011 1:25:34 AM
Awesomeness. Spread those cheeks boys!

363 days ago