The following press release was distributed via Earache Records
today. Call me grumpy, but this just seems a bit pathetic. If a record can be broken without even trying, it's not worth breaking. Yes, many "records" are pointless, like most beach balls in the air at one time
, but at least they're a challenge, or involve major coordination. I could go in my basement right now and record the "world's shortest album." Thankfully, Guinness has standards.
Earache Records is celebrating 25 years of bringing extreme metal to the masses and, as part of the celebrations, has released the World's Shortest Album, striking fear into the hearts of radio DJs everywhere.
Earache is no stranger to world records, having previously claimed two official Guinness World Records, for the world's shortest single with NAPALM DEATH's "You Suffer", as well as the world's shortest music video with BRUTAL TRUTH's "Collateral Damage".
Now, Earache is taking the idea of "shorter, faster, louder" to the extreme, with the shortest, fastest and loudest album around. 'Earache: World's Shortest Album' celebrates brevity as an art form, featuring 13 extreme, straight-to-the-point tracks totalling just 87 seconds, smashing the previous 121-second record held by Canadian dance group CHROMEO.
The attempt at setting the new record for the world's shortest album has been rejected by Guinness however, who no longer recognise "world's shortest" records, explaining:
"The nature of competing to make something the 'shortest' by its very nature trivialises the activity being carried out, and Guinness World Records has been forced to reject many claims of this kind. As such, we have been forced to cease listing records for the shortest song, shortest poem and indeed the shortest concert."
'Earache: World's Shortest Album' is still available to the public however, and is out now on iTunes at http://bit.ly/Kx9MTi
The full track listing and times for the album are as follows:
01. Napalm Death - You Suffer (00:04)
02. Napalm Death - Dead (00:05)
03. Napalm Death - Your Achievement (00:06)
04. Wormrot - False Grind Sodomy (00:04)
05. Wormrot - You Suffer But Why Is It My Problem (00:04)
06. Brutal Truth - Collateral Damage (00:04)
07. A.C. - Howard Wulkan's Bald (00:09)
08. Lawnmower Deth - Be Scene Not Heard (00:07)
09. Painkiller - Trailmarker (00:08)
10. Brutal Truth - Blockhead (00:07)
11. Morbid Angel - Bil Ur-Sag #2 Lava (00:06)
12. A.C. - Windchimes Are Gay (00:10)
13. Insect Warfare - Street Sweeper (00:13)
Total running time - 01:27
They're selling this for $5 too. You're damn right I'm pissed about this!